Custom Manifold Conversion Suggestions for my EFI

carbuff

Hi guys,

I've posted here before, so many know that I already have a running motor. However, I am considering some changes, and a post in another thread got me thinking about this option...

I currently have a 377ci SBC, solid roller cam, large Canfield heads, and an Edelbrock Victor Jr. intake that was modified for EFI with 36# injectors and a Holley 1000cfm TB.

Now, what I'm wondering is, if I were to replace the intake with another one, what would you suggest? One thing that I've noticed is that I get a good amount of reversion with my cam, and the plenum of the intake is 'wet' with fuel. I'm not sure that a new manifold will change that, but I'm wondering if one with a different runner length or configuration would be a better option...

At this point I'm just thinking about this, not certain I will make a change. But, there may be others out there who are considering putting together a custom setup like mine, so I figure I'd ask around and see if anyone has any thoughts on which manifolds would be better candidates for this type of setup than others...

If you want more info on my engine, take a peek at:

Engine

Or specifically on my intake:

Intake

Look forward to any thoughts you might have!
Bryan

Originally posted by carbuff
Now, what I'm wondering is, if I were to replace the intake with another one, what would you suggest? One thing that I've noticed is that I get a good amount of reversion with my cam, and the plenum of the intake is 'wet' with fuel. I'm not sure that a new manifold will change that, but I'm wondering if one with a different runner length or configuration would be a better option...

With that much cam, I don't see how you won't have a *wet* plenum. And that large of TB is just all the more contributing to it, but that's what it takes to make HP, N/A.

The best answer is Direct Cylinder Injection, but it's not available to us mortals yet.

The Victor Jr. looks like a very good fit for that engine. I converted a single 4 bbl intake for my S2 that's basically the Victor Jr. for S2 Buicks; there are pictures on my web site. You might pick up a little with a individual runner intake like a converted Kinsler injection intake. There have been a few articles on converting these in various magazines.

Basically you need to fabricate injector hold-downs or modify the injectors to screw in like the old nozzles, run hard lines from each runner to a common plenum for the MAP sensor and IAC, and probably a few other details that escape me at the moment.

Then, if you get serious and decide to put twin turbos on, you can just fabricate a box for the top of each row of runners and a balance tube between 'em and you've got a great turbo intake! :) Duttweiler converted a Kinsler setup like this for the Indy S2 heads on John Gallina's record holding SS/DX car: http://www.fastbuicks.com/ (doesn't look like he has any pics of the current engine setup on the site).

Carbuff,

Looks like we have very similiar motors... I have a 375CI SBC with a very similiar setup to yours... including the Vic JR EFI conversion. Mine is twin turbo'd w/PT52 Precision Turbos. I am in the process of trying a TPIS MINIRAM instead of the Vic JR. In my case it is a hood clearance issue that is driving the change. I have heard good things about the TPIS manifold in NA applications well see how it does the Turbo's in the next couple of weeks. If that does not work I will most likely end up going with a Hogan sheet metal manifold. The Vic JR makes great power it is just a little too tall to fit under the hood of my C4 corvette. Feel free to Email me directly if you would like to discuss motors more :)

Doug