You can type here any text you want

Custom Oversize cam bearings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
My old block needs a line bore done on the cam journals. I already had to put a #1 bearing in the #2 journal (b/c the #1 bearing is .010 larger O.D.) to fix where the #2 bearing spun.

Who makes oversized cam bearings? Would my block be a candidate to go roller on the cam bearings? (assuming you have to bore the cam journal holes anyway to accomidate the roller bearings)

I believe I mentioned this before

Be very carefull when even going .020 (I am highly confident that the # 2 is .020 bigger) Anyway, take a close look @ a block and you will see that the cam bearings somewhat block the oil passage going from the oil galley down to the main. Once you make the block bore larger for a larger OD bearing you are also restricting the oil even more.

I have used roller cam bearings in a StageII engine. You'll have to have the cam journals ground in a centerless grinder to match teh ID of the roller bearings. Have the core re-heat treated to ensure tha case hardening is gone after grinding. Make sure the rear cam bearing (roller) is installed far enough in the block to ensure crank couterweight clearance. (ask me how I know that:mad:) I think you could also fab steel sleeves that press into the block after machining the cam bores. You could easily make them use standard cam bearings. Watch the oiling to the mains if you do this, though. You will probably have to re-drill the main feed holes through the nes sleeves.
Contact federal Mogul, Clevite and see if they will make you a custom bearing. I have not tried that approach. Maybe Nick can shed some more experience on this.

Back