Cuts out while rolling into boost

Norman C Shibley

25 year ASE master tech
Justed wanted to take the time to thank anyone who can provide me a starting point with knowledge on this particular issue. I have checked all of the forums but none have my issue. I'd say 1 out of every 15 times, the car will cut out while building boost as if someone turned the key off and on. Has never happened while driving normally and has never happened under WOT. I have been chasing this issue for about 3 years now and would love some pointers as to where to look. I have all of the mods done so listing them all would bore the shit out of everyone. My feeling is that it is a battery voltage issue somewhere, TPS, MAF or crank sensor problem. I'm a retired master so before I go headlong into this puppy I figured I would ping you all to see if there are notable places to check first. I've swept the TPS with a scope and there were no glitches. Battery cable is tight but I haven't checked for corrosion at the starter etc. My meth kit fuel level light flickers at times over bumps even though the tank is full. Was wondering if there was any fail safe features built into the meth kits. I'm also suspecting the MAF since it is an older style aluminum LT1 sensor and I previously had issues of a bad coil blowing the intercooler hoses off under boost during meth injection. Thanks again to all who took the time

delco CR42TS gaped at .032 but the problem happened before I recently replaced the plugs. Again, this is a total cut out, not a misfire

When you say cut out do you mean the lights on the dash go out or just the engine stalls. You can start with looking closely at the battery cables. The positive cable can burn on the header if not positioned right.

yes, and also an Innovate digital wideband and EGT but I never seem to look in time to catch it because the condition lasts only a second
A Power Logger would be a big help in catching this intermittent problem .

I'm confused with the last statement that a bad coil blew off the intercooler hose during boost. When I've had a bad coil and went into boost I would get a stutter misfire. If you had a back fire that blew the hose it's possible that it blew back into the maf and hurt it.

Yea I just got off the horn with Eric and he has seen problems with the pins loosening on the ign module. So I will check the ECM, module and eventually the main feeds off of the starter. This is not a total stall to the point where the dash lights come on and require a restart. It's more like the feel of an intercooler hose blowing off, except that you can re-apply power

I'm confused with the last statement that a bad coil blew off the intercooler hose during boost. When I've had a bad coil and went into boost I would get a stutter misfire. If you had a back fire that blew the hose it's possible that it blew back into the maf and hurt it.
That is exactly my theory is that the MAF got damaged a few years back. And since Eric's chips have a feature designed to ignore blips from the MAF at WOT, it makes me suspicious of a problem at part throttle. And yes if I had a power logger, I probably wouldn't be wasting anyones time lol

I had a drop out at wot with a stock maf that showed clearly with the Powerlogger. It was only a few milliseconds but it dropped to 0 then bounced back. Got rid of that sucker and went to a Translator and LT1 maf at the time.

Check the orange power wire coming off the battery along the passenger side to the computer. Wiggle it around while the car is idling and see if it cuts out. I had a small break develop that caused the car to momentarily shut off/ shudder when I would gas it.

My car used to die out on wide left turns. Never happened on a tight turn into my driveway. Problem went away when I installed a new engine harness from Casper's. Don't know if that helps you or not.

With the scanmaster what it the gr/sec showing as you are excelerating? Does it match what the maf is rated for. Maybe 0-255 not sure what you are running, but that is for a stock setup.
I had probs with a maf that wouldn't go past 100. New to me maf from wrecking yard and now it goes to 255 and prob solved.