cutting the stock coils

chiken

DUDE NICE MONTE!
i want to lower my gn about 1" in the front and 1 1/2 " in the rear. i was told that i should cut 1" off of the rear coil to lower it 1". is this true. what about the front?

You will not be able to cut any off the rear. They are "pig tailed" In other words they taper down on the top and bottom to locate the spring in the perch. In the front sosme say to cut 1/4 coil at the time , but i usually go to 1/2 coils at the time:D No more than 1 full coil off.

You probably have heard this but this is not the recomended method of lowering a car. But you should be fine as long as the amount you cut is reasonable. My GN was lowered like this , so was my malibu an other assorted cars i rether claim no ownership to.

Good Luck

I put 2 1/2 drop spindles on the front of my car and it handled and looked great. It just bottomed out on evrything..so I had to put it back stock. Make sure you buy some Billstein shocks to keep your car from botoming out. The pasenger side wheel well is unique to these cars and can get destroted by the tire after bottoming out a lot. Good luck, what u are doing isn't gonna be fun. Cut as little off...cause you can take it off but you can't put it back on!:rolleyes:

Since you cant do anything with the rears why waste the time with the front stock coils. Cutting and fitting is a PITA. If I was you I would spend the money for some Eibachs or Hotchkiss'.

Coil Springs

Do not attempt to cut any of the coils on your springs, unless you want to have a super stiff ride. What you have to do is heat set your springs. What i mean buy that is heating your coils in an oven(you have to find a shop) anywhere from 5-700 degrees for about 30 minutes. Immediately from the oven take them to a pre-setting machine, and set them half inch for fronts, and 3/4 inch in the rears. Whenever they are back on the car, they will take an additional set and you'll have the exact drop in the front and rear.