You can type here any text you want

Daily driver exhaust annoyance

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

John Larkin

Sublime Master of Turbology
My little old Saab 9000 is still a great car. However I am driving it regularly now and the exhaust tone is annoying. I replaced the exhaust years ago. It is a 2.5" all the way from the cat to the rear of the car. I eliminated the center muffler and use only a rear muffler right at the rear bumper. It is a 15" - 10"x5" oval turbo offset/offset muffler. The exhaust runs down the center of the car in the trans tunnel. It is a turbo engine, little 2.3 four cylinder.

It has a nice tone but cruising for extended periods of time and trying to talk on the phone is challenging. I could put a 4" round straight through muffler in the trans tunnel but just do not know what brand or length would work.

Anyone successfully used a certain round or bullet style to quieten down a system? It could be fairly long, there is a good straight run there, easily 24".

I had Cherry Bombs back in the day, not quiet. Actually I think they were Walker glasspacks but they looked the same. They cackled.

I had Cherry Bombs back in the day, not quiet. Actually I think they were Walker glasspacks but they looked the same. They cackled.

they make a damn good resonator when used in conjunction with a regular muffler. they are good at killing off certain frequencies with no flow penalty when properly sized and put in the proper place.. some cars got a glasspack resonator installed at the factory- my 92 Caprice 9C1 had a factory installed glasspack right behind the rear bumper, and i've seen more than a few GM fwd cars that have one about a foot or so behind the cat converter..

Back