Dakota Digital VHX install thread

I am deployed overseas at the moment, when i get back at the end of the month I will update and provide pictures

Nick Micale installed the blue VHX gauges and they look great. I'll get better pics next week.
dash1_zpsb5653080.jpg

Mdavis,
I have the Dakota digital dash as shown above, (blue led) my vacumn/boost portion is not reading, on the firewall side what should it be hooked up to?

I have a clear small vacumn line coming through the grommet in the fire wall and a A piller vacumn boost gauge that is working fine
was wondering what is actually coming from the Dakota digital dash to operate that vac/boost portion of the dash, it works periodically
is it a wire or a vacumn line ?

The item I pointed out in the pm pic is the sender. Wires run from the sender to the controller box inside where ever the installer mounted it.

image.jpg
Front shiny cylinder on vac bloc passenger side is the sender. Look for that and those are wires coming out of it. Trace the wires and you will find box.

The sender is threaded and can be screwed in block or to a npt fitting Wit hose barbs then tee'd off a vac line. Find the cylinder / sender find your issue.

Thanks for the posts! I just ordered a dash today. I decided not to go with the optional BIM module to read boost since the LCD looks way to small as mentioned above. Also, after speaking with DakotaDigital tech department the second I mentioned Grand National he said "Oh you need the SGI17 adapter, they have a weird tach signal." I wouldn't have known to ask if it wasn't posted here. Lead time on my color combo is 10 weeks as these things are pretty much made to order according to their sales department. Lastly, if anyone is still interested the best pricing I could find was restoration performance. They have free shipping and are running a special if you use code vhx5 you get 5% more off. Now, I guess I will hurry up and wait ;)

http://www.restorationperformance.com/servlet/the-171451/1982-dsh-89-Buick-Regal-VHX/Detail

Last edited:
If you run a wire for the volts read out direct to the battery you will see the full 14.3 volts at the battery instead of 12.6 from inside the car. At least that is how my Chinese digital guage shows it but mine has three wires-red (+), black (-), yellow (signal, direct to battery).

Attachments

• HPIM3047.JPG
    HPIM3047.JPG
    534.7 KB · Views: 202
  • HPIM3048.JPG
    HPIM3048.JPG
    610.9 KB · Views: 200