You can type here any text you want

Damaged carb/turbo piston

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

b4black

Auke's post about his damaged piston and head damage from the pieces bouncing around reminded me of a piston I have laying around.

It's from a 1982 Turbo V6 I bought for parts a long time ago. The owner said it was "banging" inside, so he pulled it and put in a SBC. Too bad, as it was a gorgeous, loaded, blue on blue Sport Coupe.

Anyway, here's the piston. The top ring broke, bounce around and finally peices became impaled into the piston top. You can see the the biggest peice at about the 9 o'clock position.

Attachments

• piston damage.jpg
    piston damage.jpg
    156.5 KB · Views: 54
Thats what 2 of the pistons looked like in my motor when I tore it apart. More because they melted than the ring breaking but looks a lot alike. I saved the piston but I cant find it anymore.

I remember when that happened to me before I joined Rich's original B4 black site. Car overheated and I rode on for twenty miles....then BANG! Smoke and banging till it came to a crawl and dead stop on the highway. Car sat on my driveway for a couple of years before I signed on to B4 Black and got it going again. Those were the good olé days:). Piston looked exactly as the pic. But some of the ring fragments embedded into the valves and one bent. Awesome! But nothing was like the experience of a crank snapping in two @ 80MPH on the highway. WOW! really cool!:D

I'm still trying to piece together info about the carb-era pistons. That 82 looks like it has the "smile" cutout below the pin, just like the NA pistons, which has me wondering what the difference was between 82-83 turbo and 82-83 NA. I thought the turbo was "closed skirt" by then. As you can tell, I haven't seen many of them myself.

Back