You can type here any text you want

Damaged crank sensor - would it still work?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

The Granny

I'm getting ready to fire up my rebuilt engine this weekend, and am going over all the small things to make sure all goes well. I just remembered about the crank sensor, and how I had accidentally knicked it and a chunk flew off... Would I be better off ordering a new one it before I try to start up the motor?

11/26/16 Update: Started up normally with the sensor in the pic!

Attachments

• IMG_6739.JPG
    IMG_6739.JPG
    521.4 KB · Views: 177
Last edited:
Yes because:
1-If it doesn't start you will be wondering
2-If it doesn't run right, you will be wondering
3-If it stalls, detonates or quits on the freeway, you will be wondering
4-When it fails you will still end up replacing it.
5-None of that is worth the aggravation for $50

Yes because:
1-If it doesn't start you will be wondering
2-If it doesn't run right, you will be wondering
3-If it stalls, detonates or quits on the freeway, you will be wondering
4-When it fails you will still end up replacing it.
5-None of that is worth the aggravation for $50
LOL. Good post.

i don't think anyone could look at even a undamaged sensor and be sure that it would work. My random guess is that it will fail now or soon.

It will either work, or won't. Try it, I ain't made of money either. A few minutes on your back might be worth it.

It will either work, or won't. Try it, I ain't made of money either. A few minutes on your back might be worth it.

Ken, kinda like being pregnant...either she is or isn't!
Clean that sucker up, clean the plug, put some dielectric on it, put it in, adjust it. My bet, it works just fine.

Ken, Chuck;
I have the utmost respect for both of you and don't disagree with what you are saying.

My opinion and feedback was partially based on statement that this is a fresh motor.

I would not want to keep cranking and hoping/assume it will/should start with a new cam. OP did not state what type of cam and maybe I just worry too much . . . . lol

This is not hard to decide.

Buy a new crank sensor from the auto parts store of your choice. They are readily available in stock and don't cost that much. The last thing you want to happen is for the damaged crank sensor to crap out and leave you and your car stranded somewhere. Then you will have to get it hauled back to your house or leave the car and go get a new crank sensor, and while your gone who knows what could happen to the car. It's not worth taking a chance, fix it the right way now. my .03 worth

Just change out minds last week it had a little loose play between where the bracket pinches it . If that is oem it 30 years old , If it was me I would replace it.I got lucky an found an oem replacement with bracket.

Attachments

• 20161107_065911.jpg
    20161107_065911.jpg
    470.3 KB · Views: 71
Just change out minds last week it had a little loose play between where the bracket pinches it . If that is oem it 30 years old , If it was me I would replace it.I got lucky an found an oem replacement with bracket.
I went ahead and replaced it too, I got mine at Autozone I can't imagine it'd be hard to find though

I recently chipped the one on my engine. I would have just turned the key to see if it worked but I had other things undone at the time. So, I just replaced it.

You see, if you chipped it when all was already good and running, then the answer is as easy as turning the key. But when there are too many unknowns, like there is before you start a fresh engine for the first time, then you should just eliminate it as a possibility.

Keep the old one. When you get things running, and you are very, very, very bored one day, put the chipped one back on and see if it works.

Back