You can type here any text you want

Dave England's MSD advice

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ChrisCairns

Thanks for the tidbit of advice on my missing problems with the MSD box. If you remember I had a high rpm miss with the MSD box and the miss would go away when I disconnected the box.

I ran a 2 gauge wire right from the bat to the engine block...in fact right to the manifold bolt that the MSD ground comes off...and at last nights races the miss wasn't there. So it turns out it was a ground problem.

On another note....the damn $600 Weldon 2025 broke last night. The motor still runs but the pump doesn't move anything so I assume the shaft or coupling between the motor and the pump broke.

Bummer....I think I'll be finding out how Weldon's customer service is on Tuesday.

Chris

Good to know you got the miss resolved, anyway. :) I have been planning to run one of those boxes on my T-type but was a little leery after hearing several people complain of a miss.

I too have a Weldon 2025 going in the T-type...maybe if you break all the parts I'm planning to install you'll have all the fixes documented! ;)

Chris,
I dont know if you were aware of this ,Usually when the coupler breaks , is due to some trash that got stuck in there locking things up. Cal Hartline has had this happen until he started using a pre filter. I run a Earls prefilter on mine under his advise.

Originally posted by KendallF
Good to know you got the miss resolved, anyway. :) I have been planning to run one of those boxes on my T-type but was a little leery after hearing several people complain of a miss.

I too have a Weldon 2025 going in the T-type...maybe if you break all the parts I'm planning to install you'll have all the fixes documented! ;)

:D I really shouldn't complain about the pump breaking....I can't even remember the last time I HAD to use the winch to put a car on the trailer. I've had track trouble but have always been able to at least drive it on under it's own power. And my theory that if you don't take tools you won't break no longer applies. :)

Originally posted by Louie L.
Chris,
I dont know if you were aware of this ,Usually when the coupler breaks , is due to some trash that got stuck in there locking things up. Cal Hartline has had this happen until he started using a pre filter. I run a Earls prefilter on mine under his advise.

That's what I found Louie. I took the pump apart from the motor today...and the pump is frozen solid and the coupler is broken. Then I tried to take the pump guts (technical term) out of the housing and they won't come out.
I did find a small piece of the foam crap from the tank in the pump. And I assume more of the foam is what freezing it.

Right after finding this crap in there I realized I should have used a prefilter....hindsight ya know...lol...

At the time of putting the fuel system together my thoughts were that I wouldn't throw any boulders into the tank therefore I didn't need a prefilter.

Another though process of mine that going to cost me.:D

Weldon will take care of you. They realize we are all racers and know how to get the parts out ASAP. If I remember correctly, the coupler will cost you around $34.
You will need to take the pump further apart to remove the debris. This involves removing the allen head set screw on the side. The pump vanes are very small. So, take it apart in a clean area where you can't lose anything. If you have any problems give me a call at (321)722-1563.
If you are in a REAL bind I have a spare coupler.

Well, Chris it seems that I don't have a pre-filter on mine either. I will have to order one. I don't have any foam in my cell, but like the convertor issues, you noted your problem before mine, so I should listen before it happens to me. :)

Originally posted by HighPSI
Weldon will take care of you. They realize we are all racers and know how to get the parts out ASAP. If I remember correctly, the coupler will cost you around $34.
You will need to take the pump further apart to remove the debris. This involves removing the allen head set screw on the side. The pump vanes are very small. So, take it apart in a clean area where you can't lose anything. If you have any problems give me a call at (321)722-1563.
If you are in a REAL bind I have a spare coupler.

Thanks very much....

I've now got the pump apart....and I'm worried because I never did find ANY reason for it to be bound. I did find another two little tiny pieces of the cell foam but they were in the inlet not in the pump vanes. There isn't, that I can see, any reason for it to have frozen up.

It's now turning freely and tomorrow morning I'll be on the phone to Weldon to find out what the sealant or material is that was on the threads. Perhaps a loc-tite type of stuff. And what type of lube to use to get the pump O-rings back into the pump housing.

Cal...I'd rather buy the coupler from you if you're a Weldon dealer. And do you sell pre-filters?
Let me know if you do and I'll phone you tomorrow and give you my card number.

Thanks again.

Ted....we do seem to be following the same path. It's now your turn to make the errors first....then you can tell me the fixes.:D

Chris

For such a small part, it will be cheaper ordering it direct from Weldon (a pump is a diferent matter). As for a pre-filter, it depends on what size inlet line you have. If it is -12, precision has a nice billet one with a 40 micron pre-filter. If it is -8 or -10 you can get a 100 micron one from Earls that comes complete with male fittings on each end for around $35.

Back