Death to the beaten horse! Fastest stock drivetrain.

Mrdrv8s

chicks dig me cuz i rarely wear underweear
I’ve searched and searched and came up with no luck. Ive read vague answers but it hasn’t been quite all the answers I’m looking for.
I’m curious of the complete car setup of Mr Ed Brewer. On his stock turbo stock long block 11.37 and 11.44 run. Or as a matter of fact anyone other persons setup that has came close to this.
From what I’ve put together over multiple posts. Mr Brewer was running 92 unleaded and alky, SLIC with dutt IC neck, stock long black and turbo, trans brake and converter. Was this all it was? Is there anyone else that came close to or beating these numbers with a closer to stock drivetrain?
My goal is to break this 11.3x time by a good bit, but needing to know setups of drivetrain and suspension. I have a 55k mile completely stock drivetrain and suspension GN.

murphster went 11.20 119
stock engine + turbo ... only change was shimmed up 980 springs ,arp head bolts and rjc AD plate .
cam lifters prods, timing set, pistons ,rods, crank, heads, rockers , intake plenum, throttle body all stock untouched , stock turbo untouched
bolt ons that were in the car ... cottons fmic , ta headers, 3.5 external downpipe Atr 3" dual exhaust, 3.23 gears ,th400 rmvb brake, ptc 9.5 18 (no lockup on th400) , alky injection (3 nozzles 15-10 - 5 ) on 93octane, xfi
86 ttype far from stock.. full roll cage , kirkey seats , lightened , 275 pro radial was running low 9s before dropping in the stock mill

I wouldn't call it beaten to death to get there ,, boost was low 20s and rpm never over 4800

Last edited:
murphster went 11.20 119
stock engine + turbo ... only change was shimmed up 980 springs ,arp head bolts and rjc AD plate .
cam lifters prods, timing set, pistons ,rods, crank, heads, rockers , intake plenum, throttle body all stock untouched , stock turbo untouched
bolt ons that were in the car ... cottons fmic , ta headers, 3.5 external downpipe Atr 3" dual exhaust, 3.23 gears ,th400 rmvb brake, ptc 9.5 18 (no lockup on th400) , alky injection (3 nozzles 15-10 - 5 ) on 93octane, xfi
86 ttype far from stock.. full roll cage , kirkey seats , lightened , 275 pro radial was running low 9s before dropping in the stock mill

I wouldn't call it beaten to death to get there ,, boost was low 20s and rpm never over 4800

I wouldn't really consider that a "stock style" setup though. I know OP is inquiring about a stock driveline, stock engine, stock turbo, etc.

Using a lightweight caged car with a full suspension setup is far and beyond the modifications and type of setup/record OP is trying to go after.

I wouldn't consider a transbreak a "stock style" setup either but that's another horse to flog... ;)

The goal was to see how much power could be made from a stock engine/turbo combo with everything else optimized for that. If anything, a stock driveline would have been better having lockup available and a tighter converter. At full weight, I would say 11.7s would have been all I could have done, maybe high 11.6s. Which is still 2-3 tenths better than I was able to do in the past.

Besides tuning, none of the other stuff helped make more power except for maybe 3 things: better IC, more alky, gears.
-At a heavier weight and lockup 3.42s would line up with the lower mph. Can only make use of the 3.23s at the lower weight to keep the rpms down without lugging.
-The extra alky seemed to make a small but noticeable difference.
-Published data and other people have given me data that a stock dutt neck IC would be a big difference in pressure loss compared to the IC I was using. I didn't run with a stock IC but it could only have made it worse.

As far as suspension and other stuff, I only managed a little better 60ft than I did a long time ago on a stock setup with bone stock suspension. And stock headers with minor exhaust upgrades has all gone a lot faster so I don't think it had any effect.

I was also able to run my numbers all day long, it was very consistent. I think the optimal shift points, tuning, rpms, etc, had it in the sweet spot. The data may prove useful for someone looking to maximize power on a stock setup. By far the biggest bottleneck is the stock turbo.

Would love to see people pushing stock stuff and see how it compares.

Thanks for the replies guys, this is headed in the right direction. Hope more people can chime in.. appreciate the links, tons of AMAZING info in all of them.. MARLEYSKATER420 is right, Im definatly trying to stay as stock as possible to do this,. Basically a "brand new showroom" car with minimal mods. I understand fueling, tuning, and tires is the first start to all this madness

Also, besides me last year and pacecarta running 11.73 on a stock turbo last year, the only other person I know of running impressive times on a stocker since Ed Brewer was Quick6'n'-K.C. with an 11.76@114 back in 2007:

https://turbobuick.com/threads/11-76-114-62-stock-turbo-injectors-ect.206332/

Some 11.9s here and there but not a whole lot.

- this thread is very impressive, in the link he posts a link to his thread of his alky setup but it doesnt work anymore... i would only assume he used a TON of alky.... which im sure is about the only way to get into the 11s on a very close to stock car. I even like the fact he he footbraked the car instead on t-brake or having a coverter..

Now would anyone know the weight of Ed Brewers car when he ran his 11.3x.... i dont plan on purposefully removing any significant amount of weight i.e. glass hoods, racing seats, gutted interior... as a matter of fact i plan on keeping AC also.
Looks like a fellow Texan (Ken White) is pretty heavy car moving pretty fast. Is there anyone else above 3500lbs to 4k lbs in the mid tp low 11s?

@murphster,HELL OF WRITE UP ON THIS THREAD, https://turbobuick.com/threads/taking-a-stock-engine-with-stock-turbo-to-the-limit.448354 .. how bad did the pre turbo alky eat up the compressor? is your 11.2x still your fastest run to date?

major factors would be: weather, backpressure on turbo, tune, alky injection site, tire size (27 or 28s), and limiting rpms to 4650 to 4950 ...
any suggestions?

Yes, Ken White 11.86@112.9 at 3660# in 2016:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/taki...turbo-to-the-limit.448354/page-3#post-3733830

And Rob Ortosky went 11.74@114.8 at 3550# in 2007:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/taki...turbo-to-the-limit.448354/page-2#post-3733728

Those are the only 11.8 or faster stock turbo runs I remember seeing posted since Ed in 2004.

Ed was 3570# on his run:
https://turbobuick.com/threads/ideal-temps-more-boost-11-37.140195/#post-967519

I'll see if I can get a pic of the compressor this weekend. Been making it more street friendly since last year, just on a single nozzle now and front roll cage is out. Englishtown track near me closed so no runs this year.

.. how bad did the pre turbo alky eat up the compressor?

Here you go, taken a few min ago:

1526A37F-A0D0-4AC7-897E-575CC4E53D64.jpeg