You can type here any text you want

Detailed directions on installing stock body bushings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

PaulRV6

I may install new bushings since the GN is up on jacks for a winter project. Can someone help me with detailed steps? I would also like to go with stock ones to not harshen up the ride.
Thanks paul

The one thing that procedure forgot to mention; Remove the bolts holding the power steering reservoir to it's bracket. I forgot to do that when I raised the driver's side of mine and the reservoir comes up with the body, while the hoses are attached to the pump that doesn't rise with the body. The hoses ripped the bottom of the reservoir out. What a mess.

The one thing that procedure forgot to mention; Remove the bolts holding the power steering reservoir to it's bracket. I forgot to do that when I raised the driver's side of mine and the reservoir comes up with the body, while the hoses are attached to the pump that doesn't rise with the body. The hoses ripped the bottom of the reservoir out. What a mess.
What about any other hoses or wires that need to be disconnected?

You'll Have to remove the bumper fillers or bumpers. The fillers will hit bumper. I just swapped my bushings the other day and it was a piece of cake. Super straight forward.

You'll Have to remove the bumper fillers or bumpers. The fillers will hit bumper. I just swapped my bushings the other day and it was a piece of cake. Super straight forward.

Were the bolts corroded at all? That's the only thing that will slow me down really. I plan on wire brushing and PB blasting the shit out of them.

Haha yes they were extremely corroded. The two passenger side nuts in the trunk were seized so I had to cut an access hole in trunk pan to remove and weld in new washer/nuts. The passenger #3 was seized so I had to cut a hole from above and drill out and install but bolt there also. Besides that no surprises. Get some grade 8 bolts from kirban for the $40.00.

Don't bother spraying before hand. The nuts are all buried except for front rad support bolts. Just eat some Wheaties and go for it.

Haha yes they were extremely corroded. The two passenger side nuts in the trunk were seized so I had to cut an access hole in trunk pan to remove and weld in new washer/nuts. The passenger #3 was seized so I had to cut a hole from above and drill out and install but bolt there also. Besides that no surprises. Get some grade 8 bolts from kirban for the $40.00.

Planned on new parts without a doubt, I'm fairly good at f***erizing hardware :facepalm: ... Can I cut through the bushing and the bolt with a sawzall as a last resort?

Not so much. The bolts are recessed In the frame rail. I drilled the bolts out from the top down.

Gotcha ... oh well, how bad could it be, I got some new drill bits that are just itching to be used! Thanks Buddy!!

Are there other choices beside prothane? I'm thinking they may be too rough. I was planning on more of the stock feel. Who has other choices? Thanks for the help.
Paul

How is the ride with the prothane bushings? I just don't want to stiffen up the ride to where I hear things rattling. Thanks

Back