You can type here any text you want

Detailed directions on installing stock body bushings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Do you really need the entire kit that Kirban advertises, that's not cheap.

paul

How is the ride with the prothane bushings? I just don't want to stiffen up the ride to where I hear things rattling. Thanks

Indeed, fix body bushing squeaking only to create more interior rattles haha. Good question.

I have the Prothane kit from Jegs. Got it for $95 shipped.
It includes all the upper/lower and GNX #5 Bushing.

Polyurethane body bushings do not squeak unless its in a moving part like control arms and are not greaseable.

I had stock worn body bushings on a 95k mile GN. The Prothane bushings did not create any rattles. The difference I noticed was that the body felt firmer.

I also have heavy springs in the front/rear with Bilsteins. The heavier springs did bring out a few rattles but luckily I managed to track them down. It feels awesome around curves though.

What is the difference btw the prothane and energy suspension kit that Jegs offer? Is there a difference btw the red an black except for color?

paul

Ok I did allot more reading of the older threads on this subject and it brings me to more questions. After looking at the gbody site their kit is 325.00 and kirbans is 249.00 so what is the difference? Material, quantity, quality of hardware? I want the ride as original new so I am leaning toward the rubber ones.

paul

I don't think that kirban includes rad support bushings but I may be wrong.

Is the rad support bushing same as the #1 bushing shown in all the illustrations?

paul

Is the rad support bushing same as the #1 bushing shown in all the illustrations?

paul
Yes it is. I installed the Energy Suspension kit and that is the core support bushing position on their diagram. One more suggestion that may reduce ride harshness, if you're using any kind of lube during reinstallation (I used never seize), torque the fasteners to ~80% of the torque spec. I learned there's a difference between 'wet' torque and 'dry' torque specs and that GM uses 'dry' torque specs. That could all be BS of course, but I noticed no extra vibration using the poly bushings. Maybe guys are 'crushing' the bushings during installation?

Thanks, does the steering shaft have to be unbolted or loosened in any way? I am going to start work on this today and see what I have before ordering anything.

paul

Thanks, does the steering shaft have to be unbolted or loosened in any way? I am going to start work on this today and see what I have before ordering anything.

paul
I had a jeep shaft that was collapsible and I don't remember taking it out. I did remove the front bumper, rear bumper, and unbolted the power steering reservoir. I also unbolted the shift linkage to the trans located on the driver's side.

Wow a lot of extra work guys! I didn't disconnect anything and had no problems. You only need to lift the body enough to get the the old mounts out and the new mounts in.

Back