You can type here any text you want

Detent or TV Cable removal

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

excobraguy

How does this come out of the transmission? I'm ready to take my tranny out but this cable is still stuck in the tranny. I removed the 10 mm bolt plate that holds on the black cover. How does this cable come out? Is there a trick to it?????

Dean

take it off the "paperclip"

After you undo the cover and slide it up lift up on the cable a little and you should be able to see a paperclip sized piece of metal stickin thru the cable...just slide it off. the little "paperclip" wont dissapear on you.

HTH Jeff

After you undo the cover and slide it up lift up on the cable a little and you should be able to see a paperclip sized piece of metal stickin thru the cable...just slide it off. the little "paperclip" wont dissapear on you.

HTH Jeff

Thanks, I'll try that. The tranny is still in the car though and I can't see down in the hole. Is it easier to unhook this from up above and let it come out with the tranny?

you dont have to see in the hole...you can lift up on that cable a good 1" or so as long as the top end is un-hooked...wouldn't be a huge deal leaving it attached just be careful not to crush it if you are going to re-use it...although advance auto has 'em for $18 or so.

you dont have to see in the hole...you can lift up on that cable a good 1" or so as long as the top end is un-hooked...wouldn't be a huge deal leaving it attached just be careful not to crush it if you are going to re-use it...although advance auto has 'em for $18 or so.

If I take the pan back off can I see the cable inside the tranny where the pan is?

If I take the pan back off can I see the cable inside the tranny where the pan is?

No. The cable is attached to a rod that goes to a bell crank that operates the throttle valve. To remove the cable, disconnect the cable at the throttle body, remove the 10mm bolt that attaches the cable to the trans, then pull up on the cable housing at the trans and remove cable.

I never unhook it there when I pull the tranny... but that is just me.... I unhook it from the throttle body... and plenum bracket... and let it drop with the tranny.... IMHO... it is easier to see what you are doing up top....

HTH

I never unhook it there when I pull the tranny... but that is just me.... I unhook it from the throttle body... and plenum bracket... and let it drop with the tranny.... IMHO... it is easier to see what you are doing up top....

HTH

I figured it out. The best way is to unhook it from the throttle, just the clip to let the cable slide, this allows the cable to slide. Then underneath on the tranny, remove the nut and lift it up. It exposes the end of the cable with an "eye" in it that hooks into and "L" shaped clip in the tranny. Now the interesting thing is that there is nothing to keep the cable connected on the "L" clip except for the fact that when it slides back into the plastic cable sheath, this prevents it from slipping off. Once I figured this out it was a piece of cake!

Thanks for the replies.

Back