devils own/diy

ledzeppac

I want to make a DIY alky kit.. Steve Monroe style.

Then I saw the devils's own alky site... Their basic kit is basically the same as a DIY....

Any thoughts? Does anyone else sell a DIY style kit for basically the same price?

ledzeppac said:

Then I saw the devils's own alky site... Their basic kit is basically the same as a DIY....

Any thoughts? Does anyone else sell a DIY style kit for basically the same price?

sooo no one has a comment??? :eek:

ledzeppac said:

Ok.. lets play role reversal.

Why do you want to do this?

What is your expected goal?

How much experience do you have tuning a Buick or an alky system?

Go with a Razor kit

Much easier. When you have questions, Razor is there to answer them.
Just my .02.

Razor said:
Ok.. lets play role reversal.

Why do you want to do this?

What is your expected goal?

How much experience do you have tuning a Buick or an alky system?

I dont have tons of money... college kid.
DIY is less than half the price. If I could afford to drop $550 I would. seriously
I only want to be "traction limited" with my ta60. So I wont be pushing it too hard. I only have crap 91 cali gas.... I can tune it, or have any number of my friends help... I also like the idea of not having a controller mounted on the dash....

any other questions?

A DIY for the general public is basically, goto a napa for Hobbs, order a pump from Northern and use some type of preferable line (I personally like AN lines). The nozzles can be found at mcmaster carr. This will only be an On or Off system though with little to no feedback, that would be up to you.

For progressive:
1 Buy just a controller - even though most of the time buying a full kit is more economical in the long run.

2 If you have any microcontroller experience, then I could help you with some basic coding techniques that can get you started and provide some feedback.

3 If you have just basic electronics knowledge but not with digital systems, then get yourself an LM3524 and use the comp input to apply the variable voltage to the PWM. Get a FET of ample size to drive the motor... You can do this all analog in the control section with some general purpose opamps, one differential for resetting the injection to a 0-valued pivot, a NI amp for adjusting gain, and a few buffers for pot inputs.

But like I had mentioned before, sometimes the money required to make on yourself creeps higher than you would think.

Up to you. I understand some people like to build all kinds of stuff themselves, and that is fully how I am, but sometimes personal experience may interfere with what you expect out of it. Alky injection is a shaky manuever to test in a real car, if the unit is "questionable."

I think Pacemaker here has installed a Devils, SMC, and Razor's kits in his and friends cars... I think he likes them all...

Phil

My questions were to see the extent of modifications done to the motor. A heavily modded motor has a way different requirement than a stocker.

What Phil suggested is dead on. The issues come from the current supply of pumps available from shurflo and the meth compatability. If you can run mix like 50/50 you wont have any issue with the pump from northern. Only wanting to be traction limited.. this will do it.

Keep your boost goals modest, keep an eye on your tune, have fun playing with your car.

Razor said:
My questions were to see the extent of modifications done to the motor. A heavily modded motor has a way different requirement than a stocker.

What Phil suggested is dead on. The issues come from the current supply of pumps available from shurflo and the meth compatability. If you can run mix like 50/50 you wont have any issue with the pump from northern. Only wanting to be traction limited.. this will do it.

Keep your boost goals modest, keep an eye on your tune, have fun playing with your car.

Stock engine, 80k, new stock profile cam, new valve springs, blue tops, ta60, stock downpipe, stock intercooler....

Is there any red flags with the "basic" DIY type kit they sell? Lines/ hobbs switch... etc.. That was the real question...

RAzor 50/50 water iso, or iso/meth or...?

Thank you

BTW, whats the point of being "traction limited"? I was "traction limited" with the stock 215s and 21lbs of boost on the stock turbo. If you're in college and "don't have the funds" then you shouldn't be messing with a performance car anyways because they WILL break and they WILL cost $$ to fix. If you want to dance you got to pay the fiddler. That's the way it is.

Pronto said:
BTW, whats the point of being "traction limited"? I was "traction limited" with the stock 215s and 21lbs of boost on the stock turbo. If you're in college and "don't have the funds" then you shouldn't be messing with a performance car anyways because they WILL break and they WILL cost $$ to fix. If you want to dance you got to pay the fiddler. That's the way it is.

um, you didnt get to 21 lbs of boost on 91 octane....
Look, I'm also just looking for the alky to be a safty net, 15lbs is hard to do in the summer... 18 degree timing 22ish lbs of boost and be done with it.

Dancing is for homos

Thrasher 93 chip with 93 octain, 21 lbs in first gear.

Go ahead cheap out, when you blow it up, which you will, you'll spend the extra couple of hundred bucks you "think" your going to save now in a blink of an eye.

Insulting someone because you don't want to hear the truth is not the sign of an inteligent college student. :rolleyes:

ledzeppac said:
um, you didnt get to 21 lbs of boost on 91 octane....
Look, I'm also just looking for the alky to be a safty net, 15lbs is hard to do in the summer... 18 degree timing 22ish lbs of boost and be done with it.

Dancing is for homos

If you get the alky.... timing might could be carefully tuned 25+ deg in first and second..... 23+ in high gear..... Let the good times roll!

Pronto said:
Thrasher 93 chip with 93 octain, 21 lbs in first gear.

Go ahead cheap out, when you blow it up, which you will, you'll spend the extra couple of hundred bucks you "think" your going to save now in a blink of an eye.

Insulting someone because you don't want to hear the truth is not the sign of an inteligent college student. :rolleyes:

ummm ok, one I didnt insult you.... I made fun of dancing...

Two, hundreds of people have DIY Alky injection. So all of them blow their engines up? How are you "so" sure I will blow my engine up?

The question was very simple, I want to know the compararions between Steve Monroes DIY build up and the Devil's basic kit. That is all...

So where is the truth that you are trying to convey to me?

oh and I know the limitations of my car... no way am I going to run 21 lbs with 91 octane... not happening

You state your young and got limited funds. The more your push the performance level of your car, the likelyhood of you having a catastrophy are greatly increased. Where are you going to get the money to rebuild the engine if you're whining about spending $2-300 more now on a proven kit? There are some very knowlegable, experienced people on this board. All have broke something sometime. I'm sure I will at some point. You want to raise the bar on your car by installing an alky injection system. Good idea. This alky system will keep your engine from destroying itself with the new level of boost you seek. Since you will be depending on this system to function flawlessly it is more than prudent to spend alittle more now on a system that is proven, well engineered and support is phone call away. Build it yourself, get a cheap kit, do what ever, its your car. Who you going to call when it takes a crap and ruins your engine? Me, I'll hedge my bet and go with a winner like a whole lot of others have.

Yo, Pronto- back it down a notch-get off your high horse. Phil (ledzepp) is just looking for info...Being loyal to Julio is great (I have his kit also), but there's room for those who can't or don't want to put out the $$ for Razor's kit (or SMC, etc).

Building a kit on the cheap to add additional fueling sounds logical to me, so long as the boost is kept under contol, and the tune is kept conservative. If things go 'boom', then they go 'boom'.......that's the nature of the beast.

Don't know what's eating you to sound so condescending...... :confused:

Phil- PM me. I may have some parts for you for a DIY......

ok Ill throw in my .02's ... do the cheapest kit you can and just tune .. watch for knock .. You have a scan tool ???? if not make sure you listen for it :biggrin:

ledzeppac, have you contacted Devilsown and asked them for advice. You are wanting to buy his controller to use with a DIY, but I didnt see mention of your contact with them. Or what they suggested you do.

I have a certain way of doing things. And those ways have been developed over the last few years doing the same thing over and over.. constantly refining what has been done. Its the recipe that works for me.

I am in no way trying to sell to you. But if you want your cake and eat it too.. you have to sometimes spend the money. The advice given above by Pronto can be brutally correct.. becuase the alky system can give you a sense of greed when it comes to running it. And notice I use the word system since all of the parts have to be in unison for it to work every time.

I wont go into system design or placement of components. And I cannot help with technical on a competitors product.. that is their job.

Its like asking Champion Racing Heads or Weber to make a cheap set of heads.. they have gathered success by doing things in a specific way. And just like they wont go into certain details on how the heads are ported.. I wont go into certain details/explanations of how or why I do things. As some details come to hard to give away.

DIY=Do It Yourself . DIY + Devilsown = Call Devilsown for help.

Pump issues, component placement, wiring, hose material, hose diameter, hose fittings, electrical connections, nozzle mounting, nozzle sizing, nozzle placement, hardware, then we get controlling, protection, filtering, etc.. I even havent gotten into tuninig.

Piece of cake :smile: