You can type here any text you want

"Dew sweep" install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

highboostgn

Im replacing my outer "dew sweeps" on both sides..do you have to drop the window down to get to the screws? Also how does the window roller come off?

Answer No. Take off the upper door panels and then remove the black fuzzy brackets at the top. This will allow the window to move in and give you room to get to the screws. I use an offset screw driver or better is to use a small ratcheting screwdriver bit handle. Take a Phillips head bit and if you have a grinder cut it down a little and it works great for this job. Tape some electrical tape to the back of the ratchet so not to scratch up the window.

Sometimes you do need to drop the window down. It depends upon what shape the screw heads are in. One window I was able to do as TRICKSIX posted. But the other window, some of the screw heads were a little rusty and I couldn't get a good grip on them.

Ended up removing the lower window stop and gently lowered the window. Then had a straight shot at the screws, was then able to use a lot more force into the screw head for better grip.

Can't help with the roller.

RemoveBeforeFlight

As mentioned I also dropped the window via the lower stop and remove or loosen teh felt guides.

Tool that makes it WAAAY easier a ratcheting 90 degree screwdriver kit at sears similar to this http://www.sears.com/craftsman-3-pc...p-00941716000P?prdNo=4&blockNo=4&blockType=G4

and ground about half off the phillips bit away, that way it sits real shallow in the tool and just the flutes of the crosspoint are sticking out/lower profile.
And it fit perfectly to R & R the sweeps. On install start near door jam installing screws and work away.

I just took the window out and set it aside when I did mine. Much easier when going back together as the holes required a bit of massaging to get them where I wanted.

Well that was a pain. You guys weren't kidding about those rusty screws

Attachments

• image-1326582701.jpg
    image-1326582701.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 229
You could make a little screw remover tool like I did....works like this:

DSC_0248.JPG

Bruce '87 Grand National

Awww....for crap's sake!!!!!! Sorry, fellas, wrong damn picture! That thing is NOT a tool! Here is the right one....(jeez, Bruce, PAY ATTENTION!):eek:
That's a phillips drill bit, ground about one quarter inch off the end, then used duct tape to hold it in the wrench by friction......believe it or not, this worked just great....this way you don't have to drive down to Sears in your half torn apart GN to get other tools.

Hope this helps.

DSC_0495.JPG

One more shot of it doing the job. Again, sorry about the "walking stick" picture......we do get a lot of them down here, but this one did not want to help me on the GN at all!

Bruce '87 Grand National

DSC_0497.JPG

Bruce...we all know what you were drinking. Single Malt is not recommended before posting pics...LOL

Great shot of the walking stick !

Bryan

Bruce...we all know what you were drinking. Single Malt is not recommended before posting pics...LOL

Great shot of the walking stick !

Bryan

L O L!!!!:confused: Busted!!!!! I'll keep that in mind next time!!

Glad you liked the walking stick, but, it was not the tool I was walking about......I...er.....I mean, talking about.
(It takes a little time to sober up, you know.)

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bruce Urie said:
One more shot of it doing the job. Again, sorry about the "walking stick" picture......we do get a lot of them down here, but this one did not want to help me on the GN at all!

Bruce '87 Grand National

Nice!!

removing the bottom stop and the upper two felt holders worked for me. straight screw driver only

Back