You can type here any text you want

"Dew sweep" install

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I need to do this, I removed my lower window stop and the window didn't go down far enough still to get to the screws?

But I might try that 1/4 wrench with a Philips bit. I don't have a means to cut the bit though.

Put bit in vice, file it down. Or cut it with a hacksaw, or grind it down on a friend's grinder. If you can do that, I'll give you the one I have. Let me know and I'll mail it to you.

Note: If you look at my picture (not of the damn walking stick) you'll see my window is not down all the way either. That's why I used the "ground down" bit.

Bruce '87 Grand National

I need to do this, I removed my lower window stop and the window didn't go down far enough still to get to the screws?

But I might try that 1/4 wrench with a Philips bit. I don't have a means to cut the bit though.
Is your regulator in a bind? The lower window stop being removed should have given you plenty of room.

Bryan

True. He only had trouble getting enough room to access the screws. I had five in mine...go figure.o_O But the whole thing is really not a big deal.....only when one is not familiar with it the first time..........after that, it's a piece of cake.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Bringing up this thread again, can someone give me a run down on doing the inside sweeps? I need to do both. Should I do one before the other? How are the insides held in place? Thanks in advance.

Bringing up this thread again, can someone give me a run down on doing the inside sweeps? I need to do both. Should I do one before the other? How are the insides held in place? Thanks in advance.
The insides are attached to the upper door panels using Monster Staples from Hell. I pried open the staples with a screwdriver, and installed the new ones with a rivet gun.

The insides are attached to the upper door panels using Monster Staples from Hell. I pried open the staples with a screwdriver, and installed the new ones with a rivet gun.
Haha I was hoping the staples weren't true. Luckily after closely looking. The insides are actually in great shape. Outsides , well they are non existent.

Okay well after putting my outter sweeps in , I got to examine my inners closer. I touched it and they cracked. So I'm going to replace them as well. Can you give me an idea how you used a rivet gun to attach them? Did you just rivet them in place onto the metal bracket? Not sure where or what I could do to put in those big ass staples in . Any info would be appreciated.

I went to an upholstery shop and asked how they did it...... the staples are removed then drill 4 or 5 holes and use small rivets.
That industrial stapler must be a a sight to behold to staple through metal.

I went to an upholstery shop and asked how they did it...... the staples are removed then drill 4 or 5 holes and use small rivets.
That industrial stapler must be a a sight to behold to staple through metal.
copy that. What about some small self tappers like the size of screws for outter?

That might work but remember if the other side of the screw protrudes too much the upper panel might not sit right on the door.

Haha.. I'm worried the rivet gun my damage the sweep. Atleast that's one of my old mans concerns since he is helping me out. Having to push the rubber up enough. I'll hafta take a look we got rained out today so wasn't able to do anything.

Its not that bad using the rivet gun, I really put it off I didnt want to use rivets but it was way easier than I thought and held them secure.

Its not that bad using the rivet gun, I really put it off I didnt want to use rivets but it was way easier than I thought and held them secure.
too bad you didn't take pictures! I don't have a rivet gun, looks like its another tool I'll need to use only once lol

Don't be so sure.....I thought the same way about my rivet gun once.....boy, was I wrong.....I've used that thing so many time over the years I've lost count.....that gun saved my ass plenty of times in fastening problems......I now can't live without one....you should get one yourself....sometimes down the road, you'll need it....I can guarantee it.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Got the outters in. Passenger side had rivets holding it on. So I was lucky enough not to have to pull out double the amount of those horrific staples. I just ended up using #6 3/8" self tappers , they sucked the sweep in just fine and didn't protrude any further if not shorter than the previous rivets. Thank guys. Saved my self some future rot fpr oboes cleaning out those doors.

Back