Dex-Cool Question???

1BADT

TurboHolic
I have a 1999 GS and the shop I took my car to have the tires rotated told me that while doing there courtesy check, the Dex-Cool in the cooling system is turning solid. Is this typical of this stuff? How often should the cooling systems on these cars be flushed? My car 29K on it... Any opinions would be greatly appreciated, THANKS

I don't know about everyone else, but all I have seen Dex-cool do is screw up stuff.

First: I have a friend that has a 96 Impala SS. In 96 he had to take it to the dealer to have the radiator replaced because it was half clogged. At the time it had only 5000 miles. In 97 he had to have it worked on again(at the dealer) and have the heator core replaced. It too was clogged. In 98 the same thing again. After that time he drained the system and flushed it out. Then replaced it with regular antifreeze. No more problems till this day( has 110000 on it now).

Second: I bought a 98 GTP. It had Dex-Cool in it. I could see some "goop" floating in it so I flushed the system and replaced it with some fresh Dex-cool. It wasn't long before I started having some cooling problems. I had about 6000 on the fresh Dex-cool when summer hit and then the car started over heating(not to bad, but bad enough). I flushed the system with fresh water then a bottle of radiator flush from AutoZone. You wouldn't believe the sh*t that came out of the cooling system. Looked like goopy Dex-cool. Now I run regular antifreeze and am trouble free and cool running.

Third: I have worked on many newer cars that have Dex-cool and have this goop floating in the radiator, even with low miles.

So, I would say, dump it, flush it and replace it with something else.

Just my .02!

Absolutely. Unless you refuse to change your coolant every year or so, go green with distilled water.

I call it DEX-CRAP.

It is wise to flush the system on any late model GM with this stuff and replace it with conventional coolant. You and your cooling system will be much happier in the long run.

I don't think it's crap, it just does goofy things sometimes.

Ok, it's crap.......

DEX

ive only heard of problems with it if you mix it with the green stuff. otherwise i havent heard of any problems at all. it could depend on your climate also.:confused:

99% of the time it's fine but there have been some problems with Dex-Cool especially in some of the trucks.

how do I completely flush it out?

I figure when I do the t-stat in my 99 GS i'd just use the good old green stuff...but I heard you cant mix it at all....

from what i know, you cant use the green stuff. the dex has a lubricant that the green stuff dosent have. the green does have a lube but its not the same as the dex. ive heard of pepole smoking thei water pumps using green.

If my water pump frys I'll let everyone know. It sure as h*ll did with fresh Dex-Cool in it. That's was the other thing that I changed before making the switch. 10000 miles and counting on the green stuff....

I don't understand why you guys are having such problems with Dex-Cool! I still have the original stuff in my 96 Sierra and I;ve never had a problem since Day 1! I recently had the cooling system flushed and refilled with the same stuff and I am still having no probs!

Just bad luck for you peeps

Mine was just starting to turn to mud with 50,000 on the clock. I flushed it, and refilled with new Dex Cool.

Avoid DEX-COOL.

On all the newer GM cars I and my family have owned they all developed solids and goop floating through the cooling system.

I just purchased a '99 Cadillac DeVille, and completely draining, flushing, and refilling the cooling system with conventional green coolant was one of the first things I did.

If you run DEX-COOL you are begging to support the radiator shop with heater core and radiator replacements. Not to mention what build up may form in the engines water jackets.

Originally posted by Blown_GTP
ive heard of pepole smoking thei water pumps using green.

That's a myth.

There are no water pump differences between identical model water pumps post and pre DEX-COOL.

It is arguably better for your water pump to run conventional coolant that doesn't have a history of turning to gum.

I heard that there is a "stop-leak" added to Dex-Cool at the factory to prevent leaks. This may be what is gumming up. My 97 has green in it, no problems, but it had green in it when I got it.

Keith you are correct. It is just the sealing crap they put in at the factory.

I've have changed my coolant twice since 99, and it looks good enough to drink. ummmmm orange Kool-Aide.:)