DFI message "Echo Mismatch"

G McCall

Just installed my old 6.32 DFI software onto my new(used) laptop, a Gateway 5100, with windows 98. When I hit enter, for the computer to read ECM, I get a screen message "ECHO MISSMATCH". Everthing has been working find with old computer, until it crashed. Instructions says this may mean unknown data, caused by internal motems or a mouse. Anyone know how I might resolve this problem ? Help Please:(

Slow the computer down if you can. That's what I have to do with my 50 MHz Gateway Nomad, which has slow/medium/fast. Slow = 12.5 MHz on this and that's what I need to use via a DOS command. Check your manual if you have one. There may be other ways around this.

Art

87 GN FelPro'd
87 GN DFI'd

Originally posted by JoyOf6
Slow the computer down if you can. That's what I have to do with my 50 MHz Gateway Nomad, which has slow/medium/fast. Slow = 12.5 MHz on this and that's what I need to use via a DOS command. Check your manual if you have one. There may be other ways around this.

Art

87 GN FelPro'd
87 GN DFI'd

Art,
Where do you slow speed down on your computer ? That may be my problem ?

Greg,

Greg,

At least on my old Gateway (~1994), at the DOS prompt, to set the speed to "low" I enter something like

speed /l

The slash may be backwards. Since you have a Gateway, maybe it has a similar capability, but if it's not in the manual you probably need to look in WIN Settings to slow it down. I'm no computer expert, just get by with what I have.

Art

You may find it's impossible to get it to work on some laptops. The issue is one of speed and a timing based communication protocol that was employed on that system. That software employs software based timers that can overflow on faster machines and screw up the communication session. An "echo mismatch" is a condition where a command was sent to the ecu and the ecu sent back an "echo" of the command that did not match. This could be because the host software did not wait long enough for the ecu to send the echo or because it was using some piece of data already in the com buffer that was left over from a previous error and unaccounted for. There are programs available on the web to effectively slow down a PC to run older programs with similar problems. You might give that a shot.

Hope this helps.

Lance

I have a 233 with Windows '95 and I have that problem.

I haven't been able to get it to work yet. Hope someone come up with an answer that works on mine.

Greg,:(

Its Working ! First of All, my computer ports were set "enabled". When I turned the ports on, the software was reading ECM, but the signal was kicking in and out (Screen go blank). Then, I was told by my motor tuner, Bill Duke located in Saginaw, Texas to try bringing up software in "dos", not through windows. Works great. :) Thanks for everyones suggestions, and Lance, that software you sent would probably let the DFI software work through Windows. Haven't tried though.

Greg McCall

Windows 98 automatically configures the rs232 port and IRQ's and will present these conflicts. Windows ME is even worse. Calmap 6.32 will run under Win 95 if you diable any IR ports. You can partition your hard drive and install win 95 and calmap on that partition. a piece of software called "Partition Magic" and "Boot Magic" will help you set this up.

I am using this setup on a Dell Inspiron 2500 Celeron 700. It works!!

Dave

Dave,
Sounds like that would be a good way to set up your computer also,to make software work. I'm going to copy this for future reference as my setup is working so far.

Thanks,
Greg McCall