You can type here any text you want

diagnosing innovative boost controller

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

summit

Having issues building boost going down the track recently. My innovative used to be rock steady at wherever I set it, but lately it maxes out at 23 PSI. I switched to a manual air regulator and had no problem hitting 30 PSI. Any way to diagnose the Innovative controller? Supposedly when ignition is on both solenoids are "activated"? Can I just use a test light at each solenoid connection to verify they are getting their signal? I switch from pump gas to race alot and hate to jack with a twisty knob on a 1000 HP motor. Not to mention I have a $500 controller that seems to have quit working.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas
9.05 @ 150

Yes you can use a light, but check for dirt in the solenoids blow them out with compressed air high pressure. The solenoids should only click once when you turn key on, you can test the setup with compresses air and your sensor hooked up to read the pressure, below the set point the increase solenoid should be on , and above off, and the dreceasr soldenoid on. The max current output is 500ma so dont use too big of a test light to test this

Keep in mind, the Innovative also has a "self test" mode. I am on vacation and don't have the details. You have to hold one of the buttons down when powering it up.

You can also do a test with shop air.

Use a regulator (leakdown tester works), and put shop air to the map sensor and the increase solenoid.

Set boost controller for say, 16psi. Start increasing shop air, when the pressure comes up but is below 16psi, the increase solenoid should be clicking. As you approach and pass 16psi, the increase solenoid will shut off, and the decrease solenoid will cycle.

I'm thinking maybe the decrease solenoid is leaking, as it would bleed off any pressure that the increase solenoid is trying to apply.

Used a leakdown tester last weekend to do exactly as you described and it seems to be working perfectly. The only thing I can figure is when I use a manual controller it bleeds the signal off the bottom of the wastegate and applies it on top whereas the innovative only controls the pressure on top. That leads me to an excess backpressure issue, weak wastegate spring, or something. Can't explain the sudden change as it used to work fine. More research is called for.
Greg

Back