You can type here any text you want

Digital Dash?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Baron Von Buick

Big White Guy
Is there a Digital dash for the buick regal? i could of swore i saw one but im not sure. Also would it fit my 84 n/a? Does anyone have one for sale if it does fit my car?
Thanks
Patrick

84/87 Regal had a digital dash option. Might be the same as the Riviera dash. I would search General Tech and www.gnttype.org for a conversion procedure.

Originally posted by b4black
84/87 Regal had a digital dash option. Might be the same as the Riviera dash. I would search General Tech and www.gnttype.org for a conversion procedure.

I have seen a 83 with a 87 dash and nose clip, so they will fit, but I didn't know how he did it.

Jim

As a matter of fact I am thinking of putting a digital dash in my latest 82 Regal 455 project. Dont ask me why, I guess its just because I have the parts to do it. And I think after a little computing I've detirmined it is a few pounds lighter than any of the analogs. I 've done some dash swapping(two to be exact) and I would not recommend doing this unless you have....
1. Factory GM shop manuals for both vehicles
2. Lots of time, being single is a major plus. This takes a honest 20 to 30 hours to do right because you have to disassemble two cars, reassemble at least one car and than troubleshoot all the problems.
3. Experience with automotive electronics.
4. Knowledge of parts interchangibilty of GM models.
5. Knowledge of common GM manufacturing procedures.
The reason I mention the last two is you are bound to need a part here and there and there are a lot of parts you cant get new. My thinking was I'll just do it the way GM did it when they built the car which is fine but if you dont know whats is exactlly different between the two than if something is wrong how are you going to fix it?
If this didn't scare you than I might part with a digital set up from a 1987 NA Regal with a 3 speed column shift. About $200.00 for all the parts. Thanks Eric Fisher

I guess I'll point out were talking about a '84 Regal, if that makes any difference. I presume swapping a 78/83 cluster to a 84/87 digital is more complicated than 84/87 analog to digital.

Yeah my two swaps were a 84 digital to analog and an 87 theft recovery which was a nightmare but I did get everything working. If I read the shop manual right everything on the engine side is the same for 82-87. And the cavities on the firewall connector C100 look the same for 78-81 also. This is a modular set up on our cars so theoritically its just a matter of unplugging the major wiring harness at the firewall/fuseblock and unplugging the engine ECM harness and replacing the wiring assemblies as a unit with the dash. I learned all of this stuff after I had to replace the heater core on one of my Rivieras as the dash has to come out because the core is in the passenger compartment. Disconnect the wiring harness at one connector and remove about a dozen bolts and screws, drop the steering column and one hour later you have the dash laying in the driveway. Works the same on Regals. Eric

Back