You can type here any text you want

Dinged deck surface - how far down can it be machined?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BuickMike

Money pit
So last night I flipped my block over on the engine stand and found three nicks in the deck surface. unfortunately one is right where the head gasket ring goes. I guess it bumped into something at some point. I've been wheeling that thing around for over a year now and am finally getting around to assembly. I was so pissed off last night that I was damn near ready to part out the car, but hopefully this will not be the end of the world.

The from what I can tell with a probe the depth is 1/2 a fingernail thickness, so I'm looking at .010 - .015. How far can I deck the block before I need to worry about having the heads machined to still sit flush with the intake manifold? I have a brand new set of Champion Irons and I really don't want to do that. I'm not worried about piston clearance since my Wiseco's are lower compression height than all the others.

........ How far can I deck the block before I need to worry about having the heads machined to still sit flush with the intake manifold? I have a brand new set of Champion Irons and I really don't want to do that.............

You do not need to machine the heads, have the intake milled to fit if you have the block decked.

This is a common procedure as we final fit the intake for proper alignment when assembling an engine, and many times it needs machining for proper port alignment.:)

Back