You can type here any text you want

Direct Drum re-surface ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

HellOnWheels

HellOnWheels
I'm replacing the 2nd gear band due to flaring, at what point should the drum be re-surfaced?

TIA
HOW

Its not a flare if its the 1-2. Its slippage. Nothing is being released so it cant really flare. If the drum has any wear or evidence of slippage now would be the time to do it. If the band is burned the drum is more than likely polished or discolored and grooved. Ive successfully turned many myself. Only need to take off a couple thousandths most of the time.

Bison,

Is this something a machine shop can easily do? It a billet drum so I don't want to let someone without savy get hold of it.

HOW

Bison,

Is this something a machine shop can easily do? It a billet drum so I don't want to let someone without savy get hold of it.

HOW

Which drum are you referring to? Are you sure its the direct drum? The band rides directly on it when engaged. Correct? All of these are the same in any 200 4-R. Its easily machined and runout can easily be held to within .0002in if the spindle on the lathe is not sloppy.

Which drum are you referring to? Are you sure its the direct drum? The band rides directly on it when engaged. Correct? All of these are the same in any 200 4-R. Its easily machined and runout can easily be held to within .0002in if the spindle on the lathe is not sloppy.

Yes, I'm 99% sure it's the direct drum as the rest of the shifts are good. Is it something the average machine shop can do?

Thanks,
HOW

HOW,
The direct drum doesn't have a shaft, there is no "billet" direct drum, as there is no need for it. The forward drum is the drum that is modified with a different shaft.
ANY direct drum will work. Lee can help you here or most trans shops can get reman'd drums or maybe have a core they can machine.

HOW,
The direct drum doesn't have a shaft, there is no "billet" direct drum, as there is no need for it. The forward drum is the drum that is modified with a different shaft.
ANY direct drum will work. Lee can help you here or most trans shops can get reman'd drums or maybe have a core they can machine.

Yeah thats what i was trying to figure out. Couldnt figure out which drum he was referring to since he mentioned characteristics of both. He must be thinking his spent direct drum is the forward one that he had replaced for a billet shafted one at one time.

Yeah thats what i was trying to figure out. Couldnt figure out which drum he was referring to since he mentioned characteristics of both. He must be thinking his spent direct drum is the forward one that he had replaced for a billet shafted one at one time.

Yeah guys, my bad!!!! it's the direct drum housing that I'm talking about. Somehow I got it mixed up with the forward clutch housing....sorry.

HOW

Back