You can type here any text you want

Disadvantages of S2 heads?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Here is a post of mine from a year or two ago.
"Well, here we go...flame suit on!
I totaled up Bill's list: $20,810 and counting. And having Bill (Anderson) do it for ya' is no doubt worth every penny.

But here's an alternative scenario. First let's recognize the value of "buying in bulk" and selling the excess to offset your costs, buying at a discount, doing a lot of your own work, and living with used, serviceable parts.

1. Start with scoring a new 4.1 Off-center for $720. Don't tell me it can't be done: I did it on Ebay in September 1999.

2. Then hunt, hunt, hunt for internals (rods, crank, etc.) and score an 800-pound pallet of ASA stuff (including one 4.1 on-center block that needs one sleeve) for $3,000. Hint: You won't find the deals by placing a "parts wanted" ad on TB.com!

3. Sell a bunch of the stuff you don't need (like the off-center block). Trade for what you do need. You can essentially start with a "free" long block, then spend the following money:
ATR S2 Headers $925
ATR 3-in DP $300
ATR wastegate $300
ATR heater box kit $100
Modify Intake $400
72-96 lb. Injectors $360
Lines and fittings $400
Fuel pumps (Walbro’s) $280
Machine shop $600
Rings $200
Valves (Ferrea) $300
Roller cam setup $700 (incl lifters, timing set)
Gaskets $125
Water pump $ 45
Front Cover $ 75
Dutt Oil pump $350
MAF Trans $179
3.5 MAF $150
Mod ECM $125
Misc. $200 est.

Subtotal $6114 minus turbo.

Turbo (T76-88) $1500 est. Running out of space, but you get the idea. It can be done."

I still feel confident that sombody who is persistent and patient can put one together for roughly that net outlay. Of course, if you like to pay full retail and insist on new parts, you'd pay 3x or 4x that.

Back