You can type here any text you want

Disappointed at the track tonight....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

stack1

Senior Stacker
This is what I ran a couple weeks ago with my setup in my sig, crappy old street radials and stock rear end:

60 ft: 2.4470
330 ft: 6.3480
594 ft: 8.7940
1/8 et: 9.3302
1/8 mph: 83.92
1/4 et: 14.0368
1/4 mph: 103.95

So I had absolutely no traction and I couldn't launch with any boost. So put in new rear control arms and threw on some DRs. Went back out to the track tonight and here's what I did: :mad:

60 ft: 2.4090 :redface:
330 ft: 6.2341
594 ft: 8.6690
1/8 et: 9.2001
1/8 mph: 84.72
1/4 et: 13.9252
1/4 mph: 102.51

I can only build to 5lbs on launch. It feels sooooooooo soft from the line. I think the torque converter is shot. Any other opinions? I forgot the power cord to my laptop and I wasn't able to record any of the runs. I'll try to get some numbers tomorrow but I feel it's tuned pretty well.

This is what I ran a couple weeks ago with my setup in my sig, crappy old street radials and stock rear end:

60 ft: 2.4470
330 ft: 6.3480
594 ft: 8.7940
1/8 et: 9.3302
1/8 mph: 83.92
1/4 et: 14.0368
1/4 mph: 103.95

So I had absolutely no traction and I couldn't launch with any boost. So put in new rear control arms and threw on some DRs. Went back out to the track tonight and here's what I did: :mad:

60 ft: 2.4090 :redface:
330 ft: 6.2341
594 ft: 8.6690
1/8 et: 9.2001
1/8 mph: 84.72
1/4 et: 13.9252
1/4 mph: 102.51

I can only build to 5lbs on launch. It feels sooooooooo soft from the line. I think the torque converter is shot. Any other opinions?

could very well be the converter. your 60's are terrible. Are you spinning now? Whats the converter stalled to when u launch? you have any data logging?

Sorry Boost, I edited my original post before I saw your response. I don't have any logs, my dumbass forgot the laptop power cord. I think my tune is pretty good. I'm unsure of my stall at launch. I think I forgot to mention that it's a stock converter. I'm not spinning at all anymore. The DR's and suspension upgrades made a huge difference. I just wish I would have seen an improvement tonight.

Something isn't right. I've run 2.2 and I think some 2.0 60's with the stock turbo, alky, and 235/60-15 radials. Your MPH from 1/8 to quarter doesn't look too bad so I would say you're leaving allot at the starting line. It should be a no brainer to run a 1.9 or faster with drag radials. How fast does your turbo spool? I'd guess you've got some exhaust leaks, your tune is off, or both.

I never thought about an exhaust leak.... Would an inaudible exhause leak cause those symptoms?

I'm able to spool to 5lbs, but it doesn't build as fast as I'd like it to. It feels soft as a pillow from launch.

Even an exhaust leak you can't hear will effect spool because on the negative pulse of the exhaust gas it will suck in oxygen from outside the header. This in turn will make the O2 sensor see a lean condition so the ecm will add fuel. Then you end up rich, which is bad for spool.

After you build 5 pounds and hit the gas how does it spool? It should be pretty quick. You could try pulling some first gear fuel with the turbo tweak chip and adding a little timing. That should speed up your spool but definitely check for exhaust leaks first. Also, make sure you hook up the DS before you start messing with it. :) Do you have a scanmaster? Another thing that can slow you down is knock retard. Just wondering if you had a way to monitor this durring the run.

Edit: What converter do you have and how does the trans feel when it shifts?

That 60' is terrible. You say you can only build 5psi boost on launch....is that before the tires break loose or is that all you can get at WOT against the brakes? If thats all you can get without tirespin you need to find out why you arent making any boost. Maybe your wastegate is stuck open? With your build on DR's you should easily be in the 13.50 range if not faster. Look for intake leaks. Is your intercooler leaking at the hoses? Something is not right.

Can you borrow a set of 26" tires? You will need to be in the 115mph range before 28" tires are needed.

Even at 5# of boost, you should be launching...well, like "whamo"! At least mine does.
My last trip out, on street Firestones (not stickies) I was able to launch at 4-5# and cut 1.79 60's That netted me a 8.0@86

Your torque converter could be way too tight, you could be too rich at the line, etc.

What rpm are you seeing with a 5# brake torque?

The 5lbs is all I can build before the tires break loose, but it feels like I wouldn't be able to build anymore if I wanted to. 5lbs is at about 1750 rpms. It takes a few seconds to be able to build the 5lbs. So I guess I better go over everything and make sure there are no leaks.

I just took it out this morning and recorded a run. Now I have to find a floppy disk so I transfer the file over.

The 5lbs is all I can build before the tires break loose, but it feels like I wouldn't be able to build anymore if I wanted to. 5lbs is at about 1750 rpms. It takes a few seconds to be able to build the 5lbs. So I guess I better go over everything and make sure there are no leaks.

I just took it out this morning and recorded a run. Now I have to find a floppy disk so I transfer the file over.

That's pretty low rpm for 5# on the brake, so I'm assuming you're on the stock converter because of your stock turbo.
I guess I'm used to a looser converter, mine stalls to 3000 on the foot brake at 5# boost.

I would adjust up the rear brakes.Are you slowly depressing the accelerator or mashing it to the floor?

It is a stock converter. I push the pedal slowly when trying to build boost. Here's my DS file if anyone wants to take a peek.

Attachments

It kinda looks like your O2 sensor is smoked. That aside did you tune your car for pump before you added the alky? If not maybe you should turn off the alky and do that and then add the alky back into the equation. Razors kit has a provision to help spool, but you shouldn't need it with the stock turbo. Have you checked for exhaust leaks? If not take a piece of tubing and put one end in your ear and use the other end to "listen" all over the headers and stuff. One other thing, your blms are a bit low across the board. I'd try putting a new O2 sensor in and if that doesn't help and you don't have exhaust leaks I'd turn the fuel pressure down a pound or two. Also, try pulling a plug and see what it looks like. I have a feeling you're running rich. HTH. james

I'll try replacing the O2 sensor. I think I might be hearing something from the driver side header. So I'll check that. The car was stock and ran very well before I started the mods and I had never taken it to the track.

I actually pulled all the plugs yesterday and double checked the gaps before going out, everything looked good. I've tuned down the fuel so that if I drop it any more I'll start to get knock.

You said it launched "soft". Did it do that before you started modding it ie; did it spool ok and pull hard (on the street if you didn't try it at the track before)?

One other thing. Did you tell Eric that your vss didn't work? I would assume so since he asks on the chip form but I figured I'd check as it might effect the way the car runs. (not sure though)

Your first run looks like mine on my stock 87 TR. I have a stock chip, turbo, injectors, transmission. I only ran 18psi boost. I too only launched on about 5 psi boost. I have since added a Meese downpipe and removed the cat, but haven't been back to the track.

Back