You can type here any text you want

Distributor for Belt Drive setup

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Mike E

Mr. Badwrench
I just figured I would put this out there for the belt drive owners that want to run a distributor. I've seen the Malory and the Jesel distributor adapted over and both applications required you to modify the rotor to clear the ford cap. I had a mustang in my shop not long ago with a big cap ford distributor and the v6 cap snapped right on with no problems. The MSD front drive distributor uses all the same parts as their big cap cam drive distributors so I was hoping the v6 cap would go on without issue. It does.

I bought PN 8510 (sbc), but you could get 8520 also (bbc) and get a little longer belt with it. Just have to make a plate to bolt it up to the belt drive.

CIMG1379_zps5b2bb20d.jpg

CIMG1378_zps5ffd7c6a.jpg

Thats great info right there. Thanks for sharing your discovery. Mike

MSD doesn't have a cam sync that is made to bolt into the distributor, but you can put a magnet in the cam gear on the belt drive and make a tab off the distributor mount plate to hold the pickup. I'm using MSD pn 2346.

Here is a pic of one done that way on a sbc.
2b.jpg

Hi Mike- This is my first post after cursing the forum for weeks and I keep coming back to your distributor setup. In the post above you stated you used the SBC belt drive MSD unit , I have a 8520 (BBC) sitting in the shop from a past project last years which I didn't use and I am curious about the 6cyl distributor cap you put on it and if there was any issues once you got it up and running? Any chance you have the part number for the cap if you don't mind sharing?
PS: amazing motor you have put together and great fab skills!

Ryan

Hi Mike- This is my first post after cursing the forum for weeks and I keep coming back to your distributor setup. In the post above you stated you used the SBC belt drive MSD unit , I have a 8520 (BBC) sitting in the shop from a past project last years which I didn't use and I am curious about the 6cyl distributor cap you put on it and if there was any issues once you got it up and running? Any chance you have the part number for the cap if you don't mind sharing?
PS: amazing motor you have put together and great fab skills!

Ryan

My motor is not running yet, maybe in the next week or two it will be. I don't forsee any issues with it. The cap is from an 85 Bronco II with the 2.8L v6. The pn on the box I have in my shop is Standard Products FD162. It came with aluminum terminals, Billy T. says there is a brass terminal version, but I'm going to wait until I need another before I try to find one.

I can have mounting plates and motor plates made for the MSD distributor if you need one.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/stage-2-gn-build.384220/page-5#post-3210866
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/motor-plates.401097/

Thanks for the info Mike- I new it had to have been a Ford unit...just totally forgot about the older Ranger V6 motors and such! I did a quick google search and came up a Mallory #264M which has the brass Terminals but wasn't able to find it on their actual site. Thanks again for the info and I will no doubt be in contact with you about the mounting plates

Mike I did see the way yall set that up pretty slick I think!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

The difference in the caps (aluminum terminals vs brass terminals) is how the cap is held on. The aluminum cap uses the clips like the MSD. The brass terminal cap needs an "L" bracket made to hold the cap.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Back