You can type here any text you want

Distributor or Not

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

J-B Racing

Forced Induction
O.K. since I am new to S2. it is only 2 Months that I have this Motor. So my question is this::
What is the advantage of going to a Distributor over the Cam Sensor with a DIS-4 that I have right now?
I am only planning shifting around 7000 RPM. My current Ignition worked great on my 109 which I was shifting around 6800 without any issues.
What I have present is the Cam Sensor, and the DIS-4, no Balancer for Stock Ignition.
What I don`t have is a MSD to run a Distributor, and the Harness, but I have a ATI Balancer BBC style
that is NOT properly fixed on the Crank, and a Crank Trigger that I am not sure if it is any good.
So to run the Dist. I need to get the MSD 7AL, Harness, Machine the Damper / maybe the Crank which I do not want to touch ( $2600 Crank ), and have no idea how to Time this set up when I get around to it.
or
Just get a BHJ for stock Ignition and run the Stock set up.

Suggestions................please..
Thanks

O.K. since I am new to S2. it is only 2 Months that I have this Motor. So my question is this::
What is the advantage of going to a Distributor over the Cam Sensor with a DIS-4 that I have right now?
I am only planning shifting around 7000 RPM. My current Ignition worked great on my 109 which I was shifting around 6800 without any issues.
What I have present is the Cam Sensor, and the DIS-4, no Balancer for Stock Ignition.
What I don`t have is a MSD to run a Distributor, and the Harness, but I have a ATI Balancer BBC style
that is NOT properly fixed on the Crank, and a Crank Trigger that I am not sure if it is any good.
So to run the Dist. I need to get the MSD 7AL, Harness, Machine the Damper / maybe the Crank which I do not want to touch ( $2600 Crank ), and have no idea how to Time this set up when I get around to it.
or
Just get a BHJ for stock Ignition and run the Stock set up.

Suggestions................please..
Thanks

I can't say I have any experience with the distributer but I was able to make some good power with the stock factory ignition. Was good at 35# boost and 900+ WHP. If I had to upgrade to anything it would be coil on plug.
If money is a concern, try what you got first.
Allan G.

I can't say I have any experience with the distributer but I was able to make some good power with the stock factory ignition. Was good at 35# boost and 900+ WHP. If I had to upgrade to anything it would be coil on plug.
If money is a concern, try what you got first.
Allan G.

Thanks Allan for your input. Eventually money becomes a concern when you trial and error is a factor. And I was leaning on start with what I have first. So you pushed my decission faster.

I switched back from a distributor to the DIS at the race track. Back to back passes running 9.40's. 0000000000000000000000000000 difference.

I switched back from a distributor to the DIS at the race track. Back to back passes running 9.40's. 0000000000000000000000000000 difference.

Making it hard to decide now...Either way, I have to get a Balancer. I find that the ATI is not in all the way.
Thanks for posting replies. I can post pics of what the Balancer set up looks like and let me know how it looks!!

Here are some pics.. DVC00930.jpgDVC00932.jpgDVC00933.jpgDVC00934.jpgDVC00936.jpg

We ran 8.20's years ago with the DIS 4 MSD ignition box without issues.

That said, I don not understand why people say they can go fast with it. One my 109 it work like a ROLEX, bringing my RPM to 7000 like a 2 stroke engine. Chit I think I will run it then...
Thanks

I am running a 1987 BMS ignition it will rev easily to 9000 rpm with no problems the seat pressure on the
valves are 180 lbs with a Rev kit. I do not understand the advantages of a distributor.
Steve

Only advantage i see to a distributor is the 2 step built into aftermarket fuel management systems don't work well with the waste spark of a stock ignition system.

Only advantage i see to a distributor is the 2 step built into aftermarket fuel management systems don't work well with the waste spark of a stock ignition system.

How did you figure that out? You mean the MSD DIS option switch Waste Spark working!!

Joe, keep the factory ignition + the MSD DIS-4 that you already have and you should be fine. Also use your FAST XFI engine management system.:wink:

Good luck,

Claude. :smile:

How did you figure that out? You mean the MSD DIS option switch Waste Spark working!!

The rev limiter functions as Steve said will not work properly in the Fast , eventually leading to something breaking, because the DIS module gets out of sync somehow.

Back