You can type here any text you want

DLC Coating

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Murdock

Does anyone have any experience in doing this, or is it possible? It seems like it would work. They are doing it to the case's of Rolex watches...but is mainly used in the military, from what I'm reading. Reduces wear...maybe similar to doing the cryo process on engine parts. Looks like it can be done to bearing etc. If you google DLC coatings you can read about all the uses for it so far.
DLC Coatings | Diamond-Like Carbon Coatings | Titankote | HIPIMS technology heres a good link.

What do you guys think??
cost effective??

DLC coatings are good for certain applications where oiling can be a problem. I have seen it used on rocker shafts where the ol could not get between the shaft and rocker arm causing wear. I also hear of this beaing used on tappets.

What application are you thinking of ? You mentioned something about bearings but don't think that would be a good application for engine bearings. One reason being that the bearing needs to crush when torqued into place and may weaken the coating. Also bearings need to have some embedibility and be more of the sacrificial mate between the twp parts.

Allan G.

U wouldn't use that on bearings but maybe lifters or valve stems possibly skirts. Metal to possible metal interactions it would work.
There is other coatings for almost every inch of a motor that could be used.

Rocker shafts as stated would be good.

DLC coatings are good for certain applications where oiling can be a problem. I have seen it used on rocker shafts where the ol could not get between the shaft and rocker arm causing wear. I also hear of this beaing used on tappets.

What application are you thinking of ? You mentioned something about bearings but don't think that would be a good application for engine bearings. One reason being that the bearing needs to crush when torqued into place and may weaken the coating. Also bearings need to have some embedibility and be more of the sacrificial mate between the twp parts.

Allan G.

I just saw on the web site they stated bearings, that how that was posted... after going back to the page I see '' bearings'' could take on many different applications other then engine use... Im by no means an engine builder, so I guess what Im wondering is if you were putting a 450-550hp engine together and wanted to beat on it, do things like DLC really work in the long run...is it worth the time/money?? I recently purchased a "built" motor with less then 5000 miles on it, I was thinking of having it opened up and gone thru as this engine sat in a car for a couple years being stored. Engine ran great at the time of storing. Its girdled, TRW pistons, roller cam 210/215 etc etc etc its an older build...done early 2005. I have no reason to break it down other to confirm that it is in top condition before swapping my current setup. SO... it would be an ideal time to consider doing this to certain engine components at that time. Again if its worth it... I will be running it at the track and beating on the motor a bit.

U wouldn't use that on bearings but maybe lifters or valve stems possibly skirts. Metal to possible metal interactions it would work.
There is other coatings for almost every inch of a motor that could be used.

Hmmm looks like I have alot more reading to do lol
Thanks for the info :)

Rocker shafts as stated would be good.

The coating works best in applications where you have parts that rely on splash lube and have a tendancy to squeeze oil out the running surfaces. Constant contact rockers(zero lash) is another example. A rocker arm can't build a hydrodynamic wedge like a main of rod bearing and could squeeze the oil out and run the bearing dry, if using a plain non-roller bearing.

Allan G.

Dave, I didn't click on your links so I'm not positive what you're talking about. However, I just installed a fresh set of Calico coated bearings in my engine. Let me know and I can set you up with where to get them locally. Warning... they are double the price of regular bearings.

Back