You can type here any text you want

Do Flat Tappet Lifters need break in?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

boosted3

I tore my engine apart because i thought i wiped a lobe on the cam. Turns out I broke a rocker shaft and a rocker retainer fell out. I tossed the old lifters and am planning on reusing the cam and installing new lifters. Do I need to go through the same break in procedure with new lifters as if I did install a new cam? They are just standard replacement flat tappet lifters. I am reassembling the engine on tuesday so any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

If you tossed the lifters then you need to toss the cam as well. They mate after a while of running and you can't re-use it.

yes, it is possible to put new lifters on an old cam.
yes, you need to re-do the break in procedure.
but the odds of the cam not going flat aren't as good as if you got a new cam- i'd just spend the extra $$$ and upgrade to a better cam while it's apart..

..... am planning on reusing the cam and installing new lifters. Do I need to go through the same break in procedure with new lifters as if I did install a new cam? They are just standard replacement flat tappet lifters. .....!

Have done this many times, and no problems. :)

Be sure you use cam lube on the lifters, and cam, and fresh oil/filter in the engine with ZDDP and regular oil, NOT synthetic.

actually

I tore my engine apart because i thought i wiped a lobe on the cam. Turns out I broke a rocker shaft and a rocker retainer fell out. I tossed the old lifters and am planning on reusing the cam and installing new lifters. Do I need to go through the same break in procedure with new lifters as if I did install a new cam? They are just standard replacement flat tappet lifters. I am reassembling the engine on tuesday so any answers would be greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

If you put a TRUE straight edge across the cam end of lifters and it still has a crown --use it. Flat or recessed--NOT

How about used 50,000 mile flawless GM lifters on a slightly used aftermarket cam? Yey or Ney?

Thanks for all the responses guys! Im going to go ahead and use the old cam because there really is nothing wrong with it. Ill let everyone know how I made out after i get it together tomorrow and get some miles on it.
Thanks again!

Have done this many times, and no problems. :)

Be sure you use cam lube on the lifters, and cam, and fresh oil/filter in the engine with ZDDP and regular oil, NOT synthetic.

I have only tried this in demolition derby cars and it worked just fine but i do recommend a new cam aswell. Its the right thing to do to make sure it lasts a long time with minimal repair.

My current plan is to go roller over the winter....I just want to drive the damn car for the summer before it starts to snow again! :cool: Montana summers are short and the winters are long!!!!! Is there a break in lube that you can recommend? Maybe something off the shelf at the parts store?

I'm 99% sure I still have some of Comp's lube at the house. I'll let you know here in a couple hours... You SHOULD be able to drive up until right about Halloween. That's usually when I put mine up for the season!

Well....I changed my mind at the last minute and put the new cam in...so i have a good used 205/210 flat tappet cam for sale if anyone wants it! ;)

Back