Do I have a real Grand National?

KrisR

YEAR: 1986, VIN:
1G4GK4776GP435914

I just want to be sure. Can I tell using the VIN as a guide?

I put it on AutoTrader, and the automated 'vehicle definer' which uses the VIN calls it a Regal T-Type. Any other way(s) to tell?

:confused:
Thanks
Kris

the best way to tell is by the rpo label on the inside deck lid. You should see the code WE2. VIN says its a "T-Type" but they did not use a seperate vin code for the GN until 87 (would read1G4GJ11.......)

all tr's come up as being regal with a 6 cyl turbocharged engine, it wont say grant national. best way to check is look for the WE2 code as said before. actually thats really the only way to know because i have seen some dead-on clones of gns and couldnt tell until i saw the RPO sticker......

If you are missing the rpo tag inside the trunk, any GM parts department can run a build sheet with your VIN to varify what you have for sure.

Mark

Originally posted by 2quiktocare
If you are missing the rpo tag inside the trunk, any GM parts department can run a build sheet with your VIN to varify what you have for sure.

Mark
GM dealers can only run SPID labels for 1989 and newer.

On my original MSO my 86 GN is listed as a Buick Regal T-Type Grand National. In 1986 the GN was an option on the T-type. In 1987 the GN was its own model and not an option.

Good info Eric. I thought we used to be able to go back further than that. Maybe not. Thanks, Mark

:confused: People always ask me if my car is a Grand National...............and it's red with IROC wheels. I say, yes. Can't take the confused look if I say it's a Turbo T or TType.

People always ask me if my car is a Grand National...............and it's red with IROC wheels. I say, yes. Can't take the confused look if I say it's a Turbo T or TType.

Which is usually followed with the response of "you know my buddy/cousin had one JUST like it";)

Originally posted by kh440
People always ask me if my car is a Grand National...............and it's red with IROC wheels. I say, yes. Can't take the confused look if I say it's a Turbo T or TType.

Which is usually followed with the response of "you know my buddy/cousin had one JUST like it";)

"you know, my buddy/cousin had a Monte Carlo just like it". :rolleyes: