Do I need an extender chip or not???

Originally posted by bruce
There is more to MAF Dropout then just code.
That's why you need a Translator or Plus to get around it.
Least from what I've seen.

Ummmm, Yup!! ;)

Originally posted by trading t/a
I will be swapping back. As of right now I do not have ds. Or my laptop(lent to some friends to help plan their wedding). I do agree that the chip is great. I just like the fueling of the Thrasher. If it weren't illegal and immoral I would send Bob both chips and have him hijack the Thrasher and add the other options. As I said the dropout is a real pita. But performance wise for my combo the Thrasher works better. I think it may be time to buy my own gear and tweak the extender.

I find that amazing. Having extensive experience with the Thrashers and now the Extender, I can't imagine the Extender not fitting the bill in every respect! You can even put it into open loop idle if you like. Neat thing about the Extender is, all of it's features are user tunable and can be turned on or off at will. No need for chip burning to change something.

Plus I found it to be a little easier tuning with the Thrasher the update speed of the extender is fast and I cant really monitor the o2's like the Thrasher. I'll get it right eventually.

You're kidding, right? I don't think I understand. How is a Thrasher "tuned" (other than fuel pressure tweaks), since it has no user definable/changable parameters. Unless you're reburning chips after every run?

Do any of you guys think that the 868's aren't enough to feed the engine with a 44 at say 24-25 psi. There not maxed out now at 20 or so. I know I do have a little extra fuel if I need it.

I can tell you that through my experiences, trying to run 36# injectors with that much boost, even through stock heads (like mine) they will be WAY OVER extended at anything over 20#.
My quest for a mid 11 second time slip started over 6 years ago. Long road, many chip itterations, etc. etc. I could write a book on just the things I did to get from 12.50's down to 11.60's with NO internal engine mods, but that's for another day.

My point. Don't try running those 36# injectors with the TE44 and more than 20# of boost. You really need more injector to be save with that much air volume accompanying more than 20# of boost.

Not saying it can't or hasn't been done, just that I like keeping things on the safe side. Probably why I've only had to do 2 head gasket changes in the last 15+ years. And only one of them was done during race conditions. The other was stupidity.

Thanx for the replies guys. What i meant by tuning with the thrasher is that the refresh rate on my scanmaster is slower(doesn't bounce from 50 to 780mv with the refresh rate of the extender it's hard to look down at the scanmaster while boosting and trying to see where the o2's are cause they cycle to fast.(dont wanna keep my eyes off the road for more than a split second, that's all I meant)

I will hopefully get my laptop back soon and I'll pick up DS after that. I may go ahead and do it all after x mas. Gotta see what the wife says. She has the pocket book you know. I got a few bucks in my secret stash to get 50's right now. I may just hide a little more(I know it's a shame isn't it) and get the 50's and send the extender back to be reprogrammed for them at 92 octane instead of 98.

Thanx again for all your suggestions guys.....

The extender can be had with the stock datastream.

Or for that matter, the Z datastream has the slow update but retains the pulsewidth and spark advance display.

Drop me a DS file when you get the chance.

But I agree with the other guys, verify your fuel pump and plan on an injector update.

You can run in the 11's with 36's but plan on running high fuel pressure and lots of octane.

Bob

Thanks Bob! I will send you a ds file as soon as I get my damn laptop back. As for the injectors I'm looking at 50's right now. The only ones I see are MSD's. Are there any injectors you reccommend(easier for you to nail a program). I know I'm getting enough fuel so that isn't the problem. Neither is knock(20psi with very slight knock I consider damn good for these motors) The Thrasher has a better idle than the extender(runs way to rich) but without the ds I would just be guessing on a reburn as of right now. Once I get the DS file I will send it to you for a reburn for 50's and 92 octane. Will that create a problem? I figure I'll have to have you burn the chip for the 50's @92 then run a few ds files then send it back again for a recalibration. Or is that too many steps?

Thanx again.

Pete

That's what I loved about the Extender. It wouldn't boost on the line at all(pig rich). Then i started playing with the fueling spool and lean cruise(great by the way) and the spool assist. I really do like it but the car was making me terribly sick. the fumes got to the point where headaches were a problem(I don't need any more I was diagnosed with Migrainosous a few months back and it's been kindaa debilitating ie: frequent ER trips lots of meds/narcotics/anti seizures,etc.) Dont mean to give you the life story sorry!

It is a great chip and once I can get it figured out I'll send it back to BOB for a reburn.

I can tune the extender up for your present injectors or wait for the 50's.
No problem.

MSD 50's (or Delphi, same thing) are the ones. Be sure the set you get is matched, these injectors
are not tightly matched from the factory so they get matched by some of the better vendors.

Matched injectors are for sure available from PTE, Ramchargers, Racetronix (I think), and probably a bunch of others.

I run these at the moment and they are very popular among extender users. I believe I have them pretty well figured out.

TurboBob

I'm gonna order them from either Ramchargers or Johns Performance haven't had time to browse yet. I will send you the chip this week for the reburn so it's ready when the injectors get here. Then we'll go from there on the final tune. Thanx again Bob!