Do I need to keep 200 amp ALT

G

Getchasum

In the earl 90's I was in to the car audio in a big way. The car was filled with speakers, amps, 2 extra batterys in truck and about anything else you could thing of at that time. I have 750watts of rockford power that draws a total of 140 amp of current. I pulled the alt for an upgraded dual output 200 amp alt with dual batterys in truck. I'm now tring to ligthen the load some, does anyone think that a stock 120 amp alt with a single 1.0 farad cap give enough current to power, 3 rockford 150's bridge mono in a 2 ohm load and a R/F Power 300 without a weakend bass signal or a dead battery.
Tks Scott

It should be able to handle it. The GM factory alt's in these cars are great. The cap will help keep plenty of power going to the bass amp. I assume you no longer have the extra batteries?? That takes a huge load off the alt right there. Each battery (depending on size) consumes around 15 - 20 amp - CONTINUOUS!! Plus you said the combined amperage of the Rockford amp's is 140. But that is max current I assume. Music is dynamic, so the current is always fluctuating and almost always way under the max ratings. My setup in the TTA is similar in wattage and I have a second battery and I still have the stock alt.

stock alt will work fine as long as all your power/ground wires are good and the battery is in good condition (if it isn't then it draws a huge constant amperage).

What I had in mind was, just one good cranking battery with stock alt and the a 1.0 cap in trunck. I have a single power 150 briged to it's on seperate 12" sub, a total of three. With the power 300 being used for all mids and highs..............Will the stock alt, one single battery up front and a single cap in truck be enough. Tks Scott

200 amp alt and the two batteries are in car now. I'm just tring to shed 100 pounds out of truck.

yes it should. You will probably get a more stable voltage @ idle with the stock alt, and single battery. Those high amp alt's usually don't have the idle current capabilities that stock lower amperage alts do, and 2 batterys put a lot of strain on the alt like GNandTTA said earlier.

How much power are those amps rated at? I am not familiar with them...

scott...that ol stock alt is look'n like it wants to be back at home ...on the car that is:) ...i say put the stock GM alt on..let me know...i'll help anyway i can joe

Originally posted by mcss383
yes it should. You will probably get a more stable voltage @ idle with the stock alt, and single battery. Those high amp alt's usually don't have the idle current capabilities that stock lower amperage alts do, and 2 batterys put a lot of strain on the alt like GNandTTA said earlier.

How much power are those amps rated at? I am not familiar with them...

Each 150 in a 4 ohms load is rated at 180 watts, I have three of them in a 2 ohms load.

A local installer told me I would have to pull an amp or two out if I used only one batery. LETS PULL TWO BATERIES AND GO FOR IT. WHAT'S THE WORST THAT COULD HAPPEN. (I GAIN TWO TENTHS):D