Need Advice: Old School Stereo System

LM1999

Hello All,

First Post here. Great site with a lot of useful information. I am in the process of buying an 87 GN. It is a 61,000 mile T-top with concert sound and light mods. As for my question, I read many threads about the sound staging with these Regals and I am a bit confused. I have several audio components from the early 90s (University Days) and wanted to know your advice / opinions on using them for a sound system. Here is what I have (some good, some not so good)
1 Orion HCCA 250 amp factory upgrading (2100 power supply) competition amp
1 Orion Cobalt 260 amp
1 Audio Control EQL series 2
1 Audio control 2XS
1 MTX 2 way electronic crossover 12db/octive filter slope, independent variable sub and high pass crossovers.
1 Eclipse ECD 413 single CD player head unit (yes its a pull-out model)
1 PR 5.25" Kapton Pro Series Mids
1 Pr 1" SoundStream softdome neodymium tweeters with 24db/octive passive cross over
1 Pr 3.5" Boswick mids
1 Pr Boston Acoustics 4" x 6" GM speakers
1 Pr 12" Subs Lanzer with dual voice coils, cast baskets and kevlar cones?

I was thinking of running mids and highs off the HCCA since it is a much better amp and bridging the subs to 4ohm mono and run off the cobalt? From what I remember, the subs are power pigs and need a lot of current to even move. I need the trunk space for storage and T-tops plus I am not a big bass head as I once was. Could I use 1 sub instead?
Do I need an extra battery? Large power capacitor? Where do these cars need dynomat? Rear fill ( 6 x 9's)?
Any advise is appreciated.

Can any of the Audio Experts lend some advice here? All stereo shops here in the Toronto area specialize in imports with tons of bass and 0 sound quality.

everything you listed is much better then 1980 technology from GM,if you dumped all that in the trunk and wired it wrong it would sound better then 1987:wink::p:p

There is absolutely nothing wrong with any of that equipment listed above.

If it works and performs as originally purchased use it.

I'm still using a Zapco first generation amp. from 1977 mebbe 1978 :p in my car and it's still working flawlessly.

If you liked the sound of those speakers in other cars they should work just fine with a GN.

You may wish to switch to others for size and easy of installation but by no means have to.

Just my .o2, nothing wrong with old school equipment some of it is better built than new stuff. :cool:

Thanks for the replies. I agreed that anything is better than 25 year old factory stuff. Funny thing, my first stereo cobbled together with crap speakers and a used Zapco Amp (S80 I think) sounded really good for the money. I guess my problem is that I have this stuff and am willing to add or change it but it looks like I will have to do the work myself. No way am I going to give the car over to a shop and risk damage.
From what I have read, I thinking of using the 5.25" in the CS doors, and the tweeters in the dash. Add 6x9's without tweeters in the rear deck and try one sub at 4ohm mono. It has been over 15 years since I messed with this stuff, so if I do it, I want to get it close to ideal. Can any one recommend sources for good dash deck adaptors, power caps, passive x-overs, dynomat. Anyone have experience with these subs, I don't want to build a box for one then find out I need two. Thanks

Lanzar used to make some very good speakers in the 90's and later too.

What's the model numbers?

Gotta find the Thiele Small parameters and pop the stuff into some box software.

You looking for a sealed or ported or bandpass type enclosure?

One should work to match the other speakers, two might require a bit too much trunk space.

You'd have to go to a high end custom place probably to get someone to install old equipment and of course they wouldn't warranty anything.

Take your time and DIY. :cool:

I believe Metra makes a dash kit.

Dynamat works on the door panels rear side of those seat panels, floor too.

I didn't do the roof but wish I did now, it's 15 degrees and I need the insulation since the headliner is gone. :eek:

SalvageV6, Thanks for the reply. I with have to get the part numbers for the subs (in garage now and it is 0 degrees). From what I remember, they were very expensive subs and either required .75 or 1.2 cubic ft each. I don't like the sound of a bandpass box and I think the box needs to be ported for more loudness with less wattage. Originally the subs were running 2ohm mono on HCCA amp. This was retarded loud and strobed the headlights bad even with an extra battery. I now want to run them on the Cobalt amp at 8ohm mono. The HCCA is too good to waste just on the subs.
Crunchfield has a GM adapter kit but I don't know if the quality is good for $12.
I have never used dynomat, for the doors, is it applied were speaker pod is or all over the door frame. Also in the trunk, all over or only in specific places?
Leo

Old skool amps are the best IMO ... I am running a old skool 705s 5 channel.That Orion Hcca is no joke you got a box of goodies enjoy them...

Thanks Miggy. Interesting story about that amp. I bought it used from shop who had it in a show vehicle. Used for two shows only. I paid like $800 back in the early 90's for it. It was factory modified with the larger 2100 HCCA power supply and was bench tested to 0.25ohm stable. This amp is retarded loud and clean. The guy won the two shows he entered and then was accused of cheated from the Phonex Gold crew and changed it to XTR Orion amps. It is also a lighter red colour then the standard HCCA amps. I want to keep it for the history and obviously wont get any money for it if I sell it. Been a long long time since I have been in the loop with the car audio stuff so i figured I would ask for some advise here.

soundstream 705s

Heres a picture of my baby a little dirty..Can you guys put up pictures of your old school amps that would be cool..

thanks...

Attachments

• photo ss.JPG
    photo ss.JPG
    67.2 KB · Views: 276
Good Stuff. Soundstream made some excellent products back in the day. Class A amps. Very few actually doubled power output as resistance was halved. Orion, PPI, Phoenix Gold to name a few.