Do these cars have a smog pump?

VadersV6

If so, where is it located? I dont see anything, and there is no pump tube going to the catalytic converter. Its been a long time since I rebuilt any of these heads, so i dont remember if they had the air injection passages in the heads or not. i dont see anything like that on my car.

VadersV6 said:
If so, where is it located? I dont see anything, and there is no pump tube going to the catalytic converter. Its been a long time since I rebuilt any of these heads, so i dont remember if they had the air injection passages in the heads or not. i dont see anything like that on my car.

NO air pump.

Good to hear. :smile:
My 99 cobra had no smog pump, and that was the first year they did without it. I thought that was because of Ford creating such a clean burning engine that they didnt need a pump. Looks like GM was way ahead of the game. :cool:

The air pump & EGR need is so weird. I had an '84 Ford Crown Vic Wagon 302, with both air pump and EGR, even though it had central Fuel Injection (like GM's TBI). Yet, I now have an '89 Aerostar 3.0 liter without air pump or EGR. Maybe vehicle weight a factor?

Our '79 Regal 231 (non Turbo) had an air pump as I remember, as well as EGR. But it had that tiny 2bbl. carb, which may have been "dirtier" than EFI on Turbos.

VadersV6 said:
Good to hear. :smile:
My 99 cobra had no smog pump, and that was the first year they did without it. I thought that was because of Ford creating such a clean burning engine that they didnt need a pump. Looks like GM was way ahead of the game. :cool:

The EPA *standards*, are like a pingpong ball in a hurricane.

You might note that in CA, the TRs are listed as gross emitters. One can only guess where that will lead.

Back