You can type here any text you want

Do these cars have a smog pump?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

VadersV6

If so, where is it located? I dont see anything, and there is no pump tube going to the catalytic converter. Its been a long time since I rebuilt any of these heads, so i dont remember if they had the air injection passages in the heads or not. i dont see anything like that on my car.

VadersV6 said:
If so, where is it located? I dont see anything, and there is no pump tube going to the catalytic converter. Its been a long time since I rebuilt any of these heads, so i dont remember if they had the air injection passages in the heads or not. i dont see anything like that on my car.

NO air pump.

Good to hear. :smile:
My 99 cobra had no smog pump, and that was the first year they did without it. I thought that was because of Ford creating such a clean burning engine that they didnt need a pump. Looks like GM was way ahead of the game. :cool:

The air pump & EGR need is so weird. I had an '84 Ford Crown Vic Wagon 302, with both air pump and EGR, even though it had central Fuel Injection (like GM's TBI). Yet, I now have an '89 Aerostar 3.0 liter without air pump or EGR. Maybe vehicle weight a factor?

Our '79 Regal 231 (non Turbo) had an air pump as I remember, as well as EGR. But it had that tiny 2bbl. carb, which may have been "dirtier" than EFI on Turbos.

VadersV6 said:
Good to hear. :smile:
My 99 cobra had no smog pump, and that was the first year they did without it. I thought that was because of Ford creating such a clean burning engine that they didnt need a pump. Looks like GM was way ahead of the game. :cool:

The EPA *standards*, are like a pingpong ball in a hurricane.

You might note that in CA, the TRs are listed as gross emitters. One can only guess where that will lead.

Back