Do you guys think the GN is worth fixing?

rob350

I have guy I work with that has a 1985 Grand National he is looking to get rid of. The car hasn't ran in a few years and I am told that it only cranks over and doesn't fire. From what I can see, the rockers, doors, and quarters behind the rear wheels have rust. The interior seems to be in decent shape. The car has digital dash and T-Tops. What are your opinions on this car? What is this car worth (estimate). Should I not even bother? My dad is in the collision business and seems to think I will run into alot more rust that I don't even see. The guy said "make me an offer" but I have not clue what its worth in this condition. He has the other 2 stock wheels in the garage.

Thanks,

Rob

grand12.jpg

grand11.jpg

grand10.jpg

grand9.jpg

grand8.jpg

grand7.jpg

grand6.jpg

grand5.jpg

DEpends on what you want to do with it. i wish it were close to me, I'd like to have one for a driver that I didn't mind if it got door dinged, etc. It is definitely due for all new bushings, engine pulled and freshened, underhood sanded and painted, etc, etc, etc. Might be worth playing with, as long as you are not looking for a clean show car. Either a driver, or a stripped down track car.

I actually wouldn't mind driving it the way it is. The guy has the other stock wheels. I might just pick it up to play around with.

Rob

That's what I'd do if the price were right. If you can't get it running inexpensively, or find a lot of other issues with it, you could always resell it, part it, whatever. You can donate it to me and write it off on your taxes next year! :biggrin:

Squid4life said:
That's what I'd do if the price were right. If you can't get it running inexpensively, or find a lot of other issues with it, you could always resell it, part it, whatever. You can donate it to me and write it off on your taxes next year! :biggrin:

Your right, it can't hurt to pick it up if the price is right. :cool:

kind of looks like the one I was thinking about buying last year, it was a few miles away from kalamazoo I think. Well anyways if its it he told me 1200 but I wouldn't pay more than a grand and that would be pushing it beings its a hot air. If it's got ttops more than likely its rusty in that area and the floor pans could possibly be rusted also. Make sure you look at the underneath carefully and check the rear of the frame. I got my WE4 for 2000 but its kind of a crapwagon, although its an 87, got posi, lack of options and aluminum braces and drums. If you want a keeper make sure it is what you want. I got pretty much what I was looking for with a bad motor, little rust, needs paint and dents fixed, and the whole interior redone. On the bright side it has decent quarters and nice rockers with a rust free frame! I know a lot of people that all do favors so it wont cost much to make it right as far as labor goes----Be pickey when you buy! I waited almost six years to find what I could afford that shouldn't be beer cans yet!

That looks like a long term project..... I wouldn't give more than $500 or so..... assuming it would crank..... there is a heap of work there if you were to make it right..... and that would be assuming that was just what you were looking for.....

Were are you in michigan? Around here it would be a good driver, that doesnt have to be kept up like my other GN. Give it a chance, if it doesnt work part it!!.

,Dan

Let's say you are willing to pay him $1000.....Offer him $500 and see what happens. Chances are he knows that it needs a $3000 paint job, they go for around $5k on ebay if they are really nice shape, there is a lot of labor there to fix the rust or replace the metal. The engine won't start, so that's in your favor (for a low price). He honestly can't get more then a $1000 for that car, right guys? If it turns over do yourself a favor and take a compression test, that will give you a idea what your dealing with. Also take a look at the oil on the dipstick, how does it look? Watch out for that chocolate milk look .....head gasket.
Hey, good luck, you know it will still turn heads no matter how it looks, been there myself. The hot air cars run better then 95% of the other cars on the road, the other 5% are the intercooled buicks..... (so keep your eyes open for a totalled 86 or 87 with a drive train intact). Also there are plenty of parts around for the 84/85 here on the board that are cheap because alot of guys, including myself swaped out to the 86/87 motors.

Chuck

I

I personally think the car is worth no more than 1k. But being that we all love gn's, it is worth picking up and giving a second chance. The thing here is that I see alot of cars being parted out because it dont run, or it has an accident in one quarter, or the front got hit, got salvaged and paid by an insurance company, the owner got it back and parted it. the thing is, the more gn's we part out, or get put in the junk, the less there is for future generations. Look out for our kids and buy the thing!

The car doesn't look so bad. Replace the doors, light body work... Of course there will be rust, it's inevitable (northern car) . It's not the end of the world (unless the undercarriage or frame are rusted through) . As for the engine, pull it and part it. I'm sure it has salvagable parts that other hot air guys need. Then you're free to put in an 86-87 drivetrain.

Don't get me wrong, it's not cheap but if it's a good deal to begin with, it'll still be a good deal in the end. Gotta make a budget and (try) to stick to it. ;)

If I didn't have my garage full at the moment, I'd take a serious look at it. Just make sure that you're ready to tackle a project (mentally and financially-things add up) and are capable of doing a lot of your own work. Otherwise, forget it and buy one that's already done...

If it helps, I bought an '83 T-type last year for 700 bucks. Put it in the garage for a week and put oil in it and put new shoes on the rear drums and sold it a week later for $1400. Not a bad investment. If you're willing to get it running some one will buy it. Be sure the buyer knows the car goes as-is.

If you can get the car for under 1K, you can turn it around and make a buck.

It's worth $1000 all day
get it running,clean it up as best as you can and drive it.

..and keep that tarp off of it :eek:

I'd offer him a little under a grand for it, like 800 or so... If you wanna keep ti for yourself, the hotairs arent bad cars... jsut be aware, they aren't s easy to make as uick as the IC cars are. Don't get me wrong, I love my 85, but used or NOS parts for the hotairs are a little trickier to find than the IC stuff (since they only made around 4000 84/85's) and the aftermarket performance stuff is a little pricier, since theres less demand for hotair headers, intakes, etc. They are still GN's, and have all the lok and stance, and compared to every other car out there are pretty damn quick. Now, many in the hotair community dont like the idea of someone converting them to the later-year setup, and I'm sure there are many on the board who dont like the idea of scrapping and parting-out a realtively saveable car like that, but if neither of those bother you, you could part out and sell just the motor and such to make room for an 86/87 motor. Theres a pretty good demand for hotair stuff, as it doesnt show up for sale as often as the 86/87 parts do. Or if you got the car for under a grand, and jsut wanted to part it out completely, youd probably turn a decent penny off of it, considering the seats and interior are the same for all 85-87 GNs, and a lot of other stuff would sell easily too. Just a matter of what you want to do with it. In any case, if you;ve got the time and evergy to devote to either fixing it up a little and driving it, or parting it out, I'd say it'd be worth getting, assuming the price is no higher than a grand. Keep in mind that good, running, slightly modified hotair's with good body and apint sell in the 4-5k range, so asking any more than a grand for a non-running, slighty worn version is kinda ridiculous.

IMO its worth at least 1k and you could approach it in a couple different ways if ya can't get it to run (best case scenario) and resell or enjoy, you could part it out (worst case) and still come out on top i'd say by double if interior is in good shape, i would offer 500 to 750 see what he says.

I think the current owner deserves a kick in the nuts for letting an 85GN get like that! I may be a former hot air owner, but that doesn't mean I still don't care. (Not enough to offer more than $500.)

That's a start! Good luck! Hope to be seeing posts from you like "what the he11 is this:" and "how in the world do I ______?". :biggrin: