You can type here any text you want

Does FAST have a TQ Converter lockup output ?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

vtec4gs

Craig or anyone, I need a output for my VTEC, on the DFI I used the torque converter output which I can control at any RPM, the ecu gave a ground output and I'd use a relay to swithc my varying cam, does FAST have one ? if so whats the pin number and does it give +12v or or ground ?

thanks,
Greg

Unfortunately, FAST doesn't have a TC lockup yet. This has been 'asked' for a LOT though. Wether or not you could use the nitrous output to do what you want I don't know.

Derrick

I've tried using the Nitrous outputs to control the IMRC butterflies on my car (probably a similar function to the VTEC on your car). Anyway, it's hit and miss at best... while it seemed to open the butterflies pretty consistantly (when a specific RPM was reached), it was not consistant when that RPM was crossed again (ie. going lower than the specified RPM). Sometimes, it would take 5-10 seconds before disabling the output. I called the FAST tech support, and they said that this is how this works... My solution was to go buy a $50 MSD RPM or Window Switch, they're accurate and will do exactly what you need!

Justin
'97 Vobra Coupe #35
http://dohcvobra.corral.net

ok thanks for the input, yeah its important to cut power at specified RPM, oh well will have to use the MSD, I have it already but I dont have all the pills since i'm not sure optimum VTEC rpm, and don;t feel like making pills with resistors but may have to do that for now.

thanks,
Greg

I was unaware that the nitrous takes any time at all to reactivate. It never does on the bench.

Let's assume for the sake of answering the question at hand that there are no activation/reactivation issues with the nitrous output. That being said, there are plenty of people who use the nitrous output to control the VTEC. We actually have a VTEC wire in our Honda harnesses but we leave it unterminated at the ECU connector end. This way you have the option of using an MSD switch or the ECU.

Craig,
Just to clarify, it's not re-activation of the Nitrous that's not happening, the scenario that I saw was the activation of the Nitrous was pretty much dead on, once the target RPM was reached, it was switched on. But once RPMS started to drop below that target RPM, it ocasionally took 5-10 seconds for the Nitrous control line to be disabled again... I talked to Mike in tech. support and he said that this was for the purpose of keeping the nitrous flowing for a short period of time...didn't make much sense to me, just relaying what he said...

If there is some way to make it work I'd love to know. I hooked up a noid light to the function and watched it work that way on my box... Makes me wonder now if there's not just a problem with mine???

Justin

Originally posted by Craig Smith
I was unaware that the nitrous takes any time at all to reactivate. It never does on the bench.

Let's assume for the sake of answering the question at hand that there are no activation/reactivation issues with the nitrous output. That being said, there are plenty of people who use the nitrous output to control the VTEC. We actually have a VTEC wire in our Honda harnesses but we leave it unterminated at the ECU connector end. This way you have the option of using an MSD switch or the ECU.

Craig or Vobra, can you give me the pin numbers I need to try the sensor output you are talking aobut that you tried for VTEC ? Is it +12v out or a GND output ?

Vobra, which is the pin for the NOS line you're talking about, I'll check my ECM with a light to see whats happening.

Thanks,
Greg

Originally posted by vtec4gs
Craig or Vobra, can you give me the pin numbers I need to try the sensor output you are talking aobut that you tried for VTEC ? Is it +12v out or a GND output ?

Vobra, which is the pin for the NOS line you're talking about, I'll check my ECM with a light to see whats happening.

Thanks,
Greg

Greg,
I used the FAST T3 Pin (N20 1 -). It's the Stage 1 Nitrous output. It's a GND output, so you can use that on your test light to see what's happening. I'd love to hear if you're acts any differently than mine. Go into CalCom and configure the Nitrous settings. (Nitrous Activation Parameters). Be sure to set the TPS threshold to a low value (I think I used something like 5%), set the activation RPM, and be sure to set the Wet Flow N20 enable option so that no nitrous enrichment tables are used. Also, clear out the 1st stage ignition retard!

Hope this helps!
Justin

thanks Justin, I'll try it. BTW, the typical VTEC activation requires a WOT or at least 90% of thr to activate so it may come in really handy, problem is what you noticed if it exist for all boxes. I'll find out and let oyu know, meanwhile lets see what Craig comes up with. Still curious about the pinout he's talking about, you may find that pin useful as well.

BTW, what setup is it that open butterflies that you have ? we also have something called secondary runners in our intake manifold which opens up a second set of flow path inside the manifold controlled by a vacuum controlled solenoid at a specific RPM ... curious if thats similar to yours. This is dyno proven BTW to show incredible torque band under the curve when compared to the standard intkae manifold with "single runners."

thanks
Greg

Originally posted by vtec4gs
thanks Justin, I'll try it. BTW, the typical VTEC activation requires a WOT or at least 90% of thr to activate so it may come in really handy, problem is what you noticed if it exist for all boxes. I'll find out and let oyu know, meanwhile lets see what Craig comes up with. Still curious about the pinout he's talking about, you may find that pin useful as well.

BTW, what setup is it that open butterflies that you have ? we also have something called secondary runners in our intake manifold which opens up a second set of flow path inside the manifold controlled by a vacuum controlled solenoid at a specific RPM ... curious if thats similar to yours. This is dyno proven BTW to show incredible torque band under the curve when compared to the standard intkae manifold with "single runners."

thanks
Greg

Greg,

No problem! Good luck with your setup...if it works it sounds perfect for your application (especially using the TPS feature of the nitrous activation). I'd love to use it too if we can figure out how it works!

The car that I have (a 1997 Mustang Cobra) has something they call IMRC (intake manifold runner controls). It basically shuts off airflow to half of the intake valves (the cobra is a DOHC 32V motor... probably a real similar setup to what you have, just a couple more cylinders!). When the RPM's go above about 3000RPM, the runners open, and the engine breathes through both intake valves... As you mentioned, it definitely helps out with low end torque...these 4.6L DOHC's are pretty gutless down low, but scream up high.

Let me know what you find out!

Justin

Back