does the 200r4 take high revs well?

billdk

how well do the 200r4s handle the higher stall convertors (3800-4000) and shifts at 6500? this is part 2 of a series of posts ive had concerning the 200r4 and its strengths/weaknesses. Is a TH350 going to save me alot of headache with the extra durability at the cost of the overdrive or what?

Please don't flame, but i'm trying to figure out which GM trans would be ideal for my Supra (3.0 liter 6 with a PTE63 turbo, full boost at a little under 4000 rpm)

Thanks alot, I have deep respect for the Regal crowd and would come here any day for drag advice rather than ask most of my fellow supra guys.

I run one of Bruces 200 4R's in my Camaro. Saturday I put a touch over 530 lb/ft of torque to the wheels at 3500 RPM on the dynojet. At the strip I shift at 7200. Yeah, they can take the abuse.

More than a few local Turbo Supras have fallen prey to the little ol 200 tranny in the Camaro. :D

Spend the money for the good parts and good converter with lock up and I think you will be very happy.

We might be putting a 200 in our 240sx. It is powered by an RB25. Will be shifting at 8K+. That is a little down the way though.:)

The best thing about a 200 4R is that the gear spacing is much more even and better suited for turbo spooling. We have cars running over 800 HP with no problems with higher stalls and lock ups under power. The 700 R4 has some inherent weaknesses that would not make it a good choice for the power from a turbo engine vehicle in my opinion. Along with its wide gear spacing which would let you fall off your power band. The 200 4R is much more efficient with its power also and lives very well at higher rpms. With the 4th gear and lock up you will be loving the top end of the strip too. All just my humble opinion which is always open for discussion.

Mark:D :D :D

i want to know this too since i have a supra as well. How good is the 200r4 at high rpms say like 7300rpms i would love the OD. in my Dawg, but im a little concerned about the high shifting since i think not sure some one plz chime in buick's do their shifting at about 5300rpms 6k at the most???? not sure so you guys r saying that turbobuick tranny can take the abuse of my dyno queen!!!!!!!!!!:D :D :D :D :D JK. plz post guys thanx later.

Sergio,

Sergio, the governor can be altered to yield the shift points you are looking for on your car. Let us know if we can be of any help, of just give us a call and Bruce can go thru it with you. Thanks, Mark

SO it is possible??????? remember our cars are know for top end so the 200r4 can take the revs, i hope so because i would love the OD, option for the long trips, i mean top end runs hehehe:) :)

i will contact you shortly mark so we can talk more, oh and do you or does anyone know were can i get a custom adapter to fit it to my car. thanx guys later

Sergio,:)

heres the problems i see with our supras and 200r4s: (not sure if these could be problems so any expert advice is WELCOME)

our motors barely see any power until about 4k rpms and then rocket to redline almost immediately

thus we need to run pretty high stalls (3800-4000)

we need a trans that can handle 7500-8000 rpm shifts