Does the radiator fan shut off at highway speed?

CLAYTO

I have been told that the radiator fan turns off at a given road speed…..
Is this true?
Since I have added the V2 my temps are about 170 °F and my fan seems to run continuously.
Thanks

The low speed fan kicks on at 160 or so degrees as per the ecm or the low pressure side of the A/C. The fan will turn on high speed via the coolant temp switch at 220 or so degrees or the high side pressure switch of the A/C. The fan will not shut off at any speed...only temperature or A/C will shut off the fan.

A few years ago when I was messing around with burning my own chips, I seem to recall an area that you can change the speed at which the fans shut off, seems like I usually set it around 45mph, may see if Eric at TurboTweak knows for sure.

Most chips shut the fan off in the 50-55mph range. It will vary depending on the chip. :smile:

My Turbo Tweak chip shuts off the fan as the car moves. I forget exactly what MPH it does that at, but you can pick a RPM and have Eric write that feature into your chip. I can tell that it works because at night, when the fan turns off, my headlights get slightly brighter.

The factory code is kind of quirky in that area (might be a bug).

Normally, turning on the A/C will force the low speed fan to come on no matter what the coolant temp is. When a certain MPH is reached, it doesn't allow the A/C to force the fan on. Thats the only thing the MPH setting in the chip does.

If the A/C is off, and the coolant temp is above the fan ON temp setting, then the fan will stay on at all MPH's (unless you floor the gas, then it will shut off).

Paul, in your case, it could be that the coolant temp dropped enough to turn the fan off.

The factory code is kind of quirky in that area (might be a bug).

Normally, turning on the A/C will force the low speed fan to come on no matter what the coolant temp is. When a certain MPH is reached, it doesn't allow the A/C to force the fan on. Thats the only thing the MPH setting in the chip does.

If the A/C is off, and the coolant temp is above the fan ON temp setting, then the fan will stay on at all MPH's (unless you floor the gas, then it will shut off).

Paul, in your case, it could be that the coolant temp dropped enough to turn the fan off.

Thanks for the input Eric.:) I wasnt sure about the MPH...I guessed.:redface: I am glad you mentioned the WOT shutoff..I didnt know that.