DOn3d

Jimn8or

Happy Thoughts
So, how'd you make out at the track??? Did you get yer 12's?
Talk to me Goose...
Jim

ahhhhhhh yes now that i finally have time to talk about what happend...well since the event was a streetrace setup....there were no clocks after 10 pm and i got there at 9:30 and had no time to get timeslips because i had to mount my slicks on and get ready...first race of the night for me was against my buddy and his 87 cutlass 442... here is what i did

108 RA race chip
5 gallons of 110 leaded in the tank
boost turned up to almost 25 lbs (stock turbo)
fuel pressure at 48 psi line off (stock injectors)
ran slicks and threw everything out of the car as far as weight was

i launched PERFECT with the slicks...built almost 5 lbs of boost at the line and WOW we have lift off :) but then i saw my knock gauge light up like no tomorrow...it redlined before i was half-way down the track...i got REALLY scared and let off really quick and just coasted the rest of the way....turbolink showed i knocked 93 times and i haven't gotton to look at the replays of it yet but i think i saw knock degrees in the mid teens:eek: :eek: :eek: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

soooooooo i was like SCREW THAT and just put in my PTE 93 street chip and turned the boost way down to 20 lbs...i kept the fuel pressure high just in case...didn't want to lean out and blow something...

so then my next race is against a 95 mustang GT 5.0 with stuff done to it....again i build 5 lbs of boost (i LOVE these slicks!) and the flagger threw his arms down and i timed him perfectly and launched hard again....i got out to 3-4 cars on him instantly and then he started ever so slowly gaining on me...by the time the 1/4 was coming to an end my wastegate rod popped off and my cars rpms wouldn't go any higher than 4000 at 75mph and he passed me RIGHT at the end with me going WTF...

back to the drawing board...i forgot to put my roach clip on the wastegate rod so i put it back on...kept everything the same the rest of the night...i knocked a little bit that last race there...but the rest of the night was fine...i could floor it and no knock whatsoever on 20lbs at 48 psi fuel and 93 chip with 110 leaded gas....

i almost beat a 460 mustang with a blower on it...he was testing it out for the first time...he only beat me by a car length or so...i was very pleased...it was so loud!

so anyways the moral of the story is...i knocked BAD with the race chip even with 110 leaded fuel...was the octane just not enough for this chip or is there something wrong? my car is just not tuned correctly right now...

oh yeah....i gave this POS honda civic a 5 car headstart in one of my races...he needed someone to race and said i would whoop his ass anyways...well LITTLE did i know!!! so i give him the 5 car headstart and i launch good again with no tire spin this time on 7 lbs of boost...i caught up to his ass in NO time and were neck and neck halfway down the track and i thought i was gonna destroy him UNTIL i see him pulling on me HARD out of NOWHERE!!!! we cross the finish line and he beats me by a couple car lengths!!! i was like NO WAY MY CAR SUCKS

well i pull around and talk to him and i go "wtf man how the hell did you pull on me so bad there? you have such a smaller engine" well since i am only 19 and dont know CRAP about racing yet...he goes "yeah man it's NOS....i am running a 200 shot on this thing" he had a big smile on his face like he tricked the FBI or something...i laughed and told myself "you are a newbie...you will learn on of these days"

so it was quite an interesting night...i'll now await the laughs from your guys responses...there was a huge crowd there and everyone would stop and just watch me race....they were like OMG A GN....then i blow it...sigh......glad you guys on this board are doing all the dirty work cause i just can't do it with this stock stuff anymore

One thing, the stock turbo ain't worth much at more than 22# other than to heat the charge up and make it detonate. Keep it down around 20-21# and try the race gas and chip again....make sure the race gas is not diluted by your 93 octane by any great amount. :)

Originally posted by Steve Wood
One thing, the stock turbo ain't worth much at more than 22# other than to heat the charge up and make it detonate. Keep it down around 20-21# and try the race gas and chip again....make sure the race gas is not diluted by your 93 octane by any great amount. :)

you think maybe that's why i knocked so bad? because i had the turbo way too high and it was producing tons of HEAT? so keep it to 20 lbs and keep the race chip eh? will it be an improvement if i ran 20 lbs on my 93 chip? why the race chip? i mean i know it had more timing but what is timing anyways...just how fast your injectors fire isn't it?

i also made sure i was on empty before i put the 110 in for that very reason...god i wish i could run that stuff daily :D

Big Don...No worries on the Honda thing Dude...we were all newbies at one point :D Steve is correct when he says the stock turbo does more bad than good over 22lbs boost. Save a couple of bucks up for next time and buy C-16. Real race gas. Be certain your tank is empty prior to adding the C-16. Leave the race-chip in and set the boost for 22lbs...Launch hard and check the expression when he hits the 200 shot again...:D:D You did a very good job of covering the play by play and sounds like you gained some experience racing the 460 Ford in 'deaf' mode...it's called experience, and now you have a little. I hope you had fun on Friday. cause that's the name of the game. Next opportunity, leave the girlfriends a little sooner:eek:
Cheers,
Jim

that's it...ta-49 turbo and 42.5 lb injectors by next month...i am being serious!

the stock turbo is great...but it's just not helping me of what i want to do...i want to eventually break the 11's with an untouched stock internal engine....if i keep knocking like i do i will never get there!

thanks for the support guys...it's tough for me right now because i am young and really lack experience in this hobby...i do launch the car very well though...i am very good at timing lights and flaggers :D

Hey cool, you learned a bunch of new stuff tonight so it's all good.

I still think that car could be tuned a bit better with the stock stuff.

I don't think it should be knocking that badly. Hope you got a lot of Turbolink data to go through.

I hope I don't learn quite as much when I go racing for the first time. ;)

You can run close to 12.0 with the stock turbo and injectors if everything is right.

Now, it is possible that the stock injectors are tired and dirty and may not flow as well as they should. That can contribute to detonation. Your fuel pressure might need to be higher, or it may have been too high....takes some time to run enough tests against the clock to find out what the combo likes.

Timing is the point that the ignition fires the spark plug in the rotation cycle. The more timing the chip has, the earlier the plug fires. 93 octane burns more quickly than a higher octane race gas and if the timing is too large, the mixture may burn prematurely and try to drive the piston back down before it finishes the combustion stroke. With race gas that burns more slowly, the fire can be started earlier and will produce a greater heat as it pushes the piston downward at the end of the stroke.

That is a pretty crude description, and overly simplistic, but race chips have more timing, require better gas and will make considerably more power when all is said and done.