dont hate me for asking just curious thats all

boosted1

hi all im just thinking out loud here because im building a little pocket rocket 914 with a motor conversion, what would happen if i got a tr motor and got rid of the fi and all other electronics would i be able to put on a buick 231 carb intake on with a vortech style carb enclosing box, and just run a reg distributor? just like the supercharger kits out there for the small blocks that come from vortech they just bolt on and box up the carb, to make it not leak boost. would something like this be possible on a tr motor but would be using a turbo instead of a supercharger? it would sure make it much easier to install a tr motor without all the electronics with it

thank you
slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

It should work fine. It's just an engine just like all the other ones. I'm not sure why you would do it though. There aren't that many electronics on our cars so it would be relatively easy (maybe easier than the carb box) to install the engine fuel injected and have all of the tools GN's have at there disposal.

yea i know but can you imagine how easy it would be to just slap on some nice twins and only a distributor and go play, no scanmasters, iac, tps all the fun stuff that we have to play with on a monthly basis with our cars sometimes.

i was just playing around with the idea in my head, i mean just to put on 2 stock gn turbos on and hot air them right into the carb box, with a nos plate under the carb to spray in some alky into the motor at like 8+ psi would be a nice way to make a ton of power

give me some ideas guys,

is there any posts, articles you guys may remember in your heads about this i mean if you can just slap on a carb with a box with a vortech or paxton onto a small block chevy i cant imagine it not working on a v6

so i may not have the best idle or mpg that way but hey with our stock mafs we dont have the best manners possible either, or if i go from 18+ mpg to 15+ thats not a problem in my eyes at all considering i dont drive it daily, and just to have a carb, and distributor to tune with it would be damn clean in the engine bay

any carb guys can hear me please let me hear your opinion,

thanks

slawek

boosted1@yahoo.com

Hi,
Why not take a hot air motor ,'83 or so,and stick that into your 914. They are carbed already. I don't think you can totally avoid computers and electronics.And,for that matter,who would want to?
Boy, will you have some hookup issues to deal with. Are you planning to put this in the trunk, or what? The Porsche 914 is a mid engine configuration, right? You would have to gut it,and raise the car several inches, I think.I guess you could try to put the motor in the stock location,but you are gonna have to use some sort of transaxle to do that,and if you want to go GM, the thm 440t4 would be the logical choice.If you want to mate the Buick to the existing drivetrain, you better have a good friend who happend to be a German machinist, or some such.
I'm wearing out; the possibilities are endless, but you would have to ask yourself how bad you want a Buick v6 powered 914? Personally, to me they are nothing but a curiousity.The project sounds like something Jay Leno's shop might undertake. Have fun with your mental fabrications!

I dunno, I thought there used to be kits to swap buick V6s into some of the cheaper Porsche models. Might not be so bad. But personally I would want all the electronics. Yeah, maybe ditching all that stuff makes the physical installation easier, but once it is up and running I think the precise control and tuning capabilities will be a big advantage. If you go carbed don't expect to be able to run as much boost (or make as much power) as the FI cars! Or run as well in general... IMO opinion anyway, which is worth what you paid for it :)

John

i understand what you are saying about the tools that we have but i dont think it will be that big of problem since x amount of air needs x amount of fuel and so on and they have been doing this on the small blocks for years... gale banks used twins to go all the way up to 700 kits with a blow through carb setup

ill still use o2's so i can have a wideband hooked up and see where i am at but other than that i dont see any problems that can arise

id love to have this set up in the buick if i could have it that way and still smog... a lot cleaner bay and less wires

i dont think that im going to be making less power than the fi cars and will not also be limited to boost either

i can always put a nos plate under the carb and run alky through it at a certain boost level

and the place that did the kits for the conversions is called renegadehybrids.com

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

i understand what you are saying about the tools that we have but i dont think it will be that big of problem since x amount of air needs x amount of fuel and so on and they have been doing this on the small blocks for years... gale banks used twins to go all the way up to 700 kits with a blow through carb setup

ill still use o2's so i can have a wideband hooked up and see where i am at but other than that i dont see any problems that can arise

id love to have this set up in the buick if i could have it that way and still smog... a lot cleaner bay and less wires

i dont think that im going to be making less power than the fi cars and will not also be limited to boost either

i can always put a nos plate under the carb and run alky through it at a certain boost level

and the place that did the kits for the conversions is called renegadehybrids.com

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

The fact that EFI is more tunable than a carb really isn't that debatable. Yes you can get them both dialed in almost exactly the same (the edge there still goes to EFI) but as soon as air temp/pressure/humidity changes the carb will be slightly out of tune and the EFI will self correct.

That said, it sounds like you've already made up your mind and your fishing for approval. Well, here it is. It's your setup so you make the call. You'll make plenty of power, you'll just be giving up some stuff. Car guys do it all the time. I drive a GN and I love it but I gave up the classic muscle car with a carb, lumpy idle, and four speed to do it. Everything is a trade off. Do what you want to do with your stuff and be proud of it. If everyone followed one template our hobby would be boring as hell. So do it your way and post back with picks. ;) That's how I see it. james

thanks man, its not approval im fishing for its just that i have never been into carbs and have very little knowledge about them and their possibilities, i have seen it many times on the small blocks and was wondering why so many people were telling me that it will never work thats all, as far as changes in temp/ humidity, i hear you and i understand, im thankful that you took the time to make a positive point and not just expressed your opinion by telling me not to do it and its stupid, more people should be so willing to explain things...

slawek
boosted1@yahoo.com

No problem man, and I'm sorry if that sounded a little ahole-ish. :eek: I woke up on the wrong side of the bed this morning. I meant what I said though. If it's what you want to do, and you understand the trade offs, do it and be proud. At one point everyone said the electronics were a waste of time on cars and they were going to choke out the average car guy. That wasn't true, just like it's not true to say you can't run a turbo (or twin turbo;) ) setup without electronics. It'll work, and with some extra tuning and maintenance, it'll work very well. One last thing, I meant what I said about posting pics!