You can type here any text you want

Donut gasket crossover

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

51 Turbo

Tat Man
I have been having a tough time finding a donut gasket for the crossover pipe that runs from manifold to manifold. Anybody have a part # or help where to find one? Thanks

Good luck finding one. A donut gasket isn't used on the crossover

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Good luck finding one. A donut gasket isn't used on the crossover

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app
I'm referring to the carburated Regal Sport. I sure just pulled a chunk of one from the car. This is not to say somewhere down the line someone "created" a different crossover, but it sure was the one that came on the motor.

The crossover on the carb/turbos is the same as the SFI cars. Unless you are talking about a 1981/82 crossover. It's narrower and uses an adapter on the driver's side that could look like a donut gasket. It's made of metal and basically takes the place of the EFE valve on the non-turbo engine (The turbo engine uses an electric EFE under the carb). Does that sound like what you are looking for?

This is the EFE or heat riser from a NA engine. The turbo engine basically uses the same flange, but without the butterfly valve.

getimage.php

The crossover on the carb/turbos is the same as the SFI cars. Unless you are talking about a 1981/82 crossover. It's narrower and uses an adapter on the driver's side that could look like a donut gasket. It's made of metal and basically takes the place of the EFE valve on the non-turbo engine (The turbo engine uses an electric EFE under the carb). Does that sound like what you are looking for?
The end of the crossover pipe is a bit flared. The inside of the manifold is concave and rounded. Looks just like the shape of the donut. I'm going to remove the pipe and see if there is anything in there on the passenger side. also that will allow me to see the condition of the pipe, round, bent, whatever. Thanks much

This is the EFE or heat riser from a NA engine. The turbo engine basically uses the same flange, but without the butterfly valve.

getimage.php
Nope don't have one of those. This is more of a "hot rod" install. I removed much of the crap.

Yes, I realize you don't have one of those. It's from a NA engine. The turbo engine should have an adapter that takes it's place between the driver's side exhaust manifold and the crossover. That is the part that could be considered a donut gasket.

Otherwise, like said above, there are no gaskets. It's a flare-type fitting.

Yes, I realize you don't have one of those. It's from a NA engine. The turbo engine should have an adapter that takes it's place between the driver's side exhaust manifold and the crossover. That is the part that could be considered a donut gasket.

Otherwise, like said above, there are no gaskets. It's a flare-type fitting.
I guess that takes me back to the start. Are these available, is there a part #, or are they like the PEVR valve? I suppose I could use one with the butterfly and not hook it up. I'll start looking, And thanks again for the help.

Normally open wastegates were 1981. 1981 and 1982 are the two years that used this adapter. I don't think you can use the heat riser in it's place. I believe the heat riser is much thicker than the adapter.

Parts book shows GM 25507793

You might be able to substitute a graphite donuts gasket in its place (which might be what someone already has done). I'm referring to the style of gasket between the turbo and downpipe. Same gasket, but much smaller. Maybe take the crossover to an auto parts store or muffler shop to match it up.

Or another option is to ditch the narrow 81/2 exhaust manifolds for the 83/85 tube headers.
http://www.beforeblack.net/exhaust.htm

I have an 82 with 80 manifolds and I have a donut between the manifold and crossover and it seals up just fine.

Back