Downpipe/Wastegate combo's

F

Four-Four-Two

Need some edumacation:D on downpipe/wastegate combos.

I know the objective of a bigger downpipe is to flow better. Can you keep the stock wastegate setup when you upgrade downpipes? Whats the difference between an internal and external gate. (besides the obvious:) ) Whats the benefit from changing the stock wastegate setup?

about the best downpipe available uses the stock wastegate setup.....Terry Houston 3"....external wastegates are an un-necessary complication for all but the 9 sec and down cars

Originally posted by azgn
about the best downpipe available uses the stock wastegate setup.....Terry Houston 3"....external wastegates are an un-necessary complication for all but the 9 sec and down cars

Ditto. But if you are on a real tight budget you can get away with a Kirban type of 3"DP bolted to a stock (ported) elbow. Chances are, the stock DP is not really holding you back so if you can, save up for the THDP and do it right the first time.

Glen-
1987 Turbo T WE4- 38k
Hotwired Walbro 307, Bosch 237 FPR, K&N 9" cone, Hooker dual 2.5", thrasher 92

Dont even bother upgrading the downpipe, its not a restriction with your mods. Take the money and buy a Turbo, you will actually feel a gain from that. The stock downpipe is good till high 11s.

Hey Glen...

Well, I got all of the same opinions when I was kicking around a downpipe. Whether it makes a difference or not on a stock turbo (I thought it spooled even quicker after installing on mine, but what do I know), you may eventually get to the point where it'll benefit you. Now, if you're running a cat, well, that's like trying to fart with a cork in your as* - in this case, the THDP probably won't make a difference.

You'll have to mod your turbo shield for the THDP, but so what. Buy an extra and put a stock one away for posterity's sake.

But, at the end of the day, ya know what? The stock DP looks like dog crap, so do the THDP now because you'll be kicking yourself about a year from now if you don't. At a minimum, the THDP will look better in your engine compartment.

Rich

Thanks for the reply's guys. Actually I wasn't really planning on buying one right now. I am just wondering what the different combos are like, Why use an external gate over an internal? What are the benefits of using each, and so on. :D

I will be upgrading downpipes eventually. I have a set of blue tops and am looking for a TA49 or TE44. Though I would get one after those go in. That will probably be a year or so though.