Drivers side valve cover breather must have?

Turbo6Smackdown

If you're running a factory pcv setup, and have a breather on the passenger side valve cover, do you have to run a driver's side breather as well? Is it absolutely essential?

I don't believe having one on the drivers side is as important as the passenger side. I've been running that way for a while with no issues. Although I've heard of guys running high boost and/or PCV issues causing oil to come out the drivers side..

If you're running a factory pcv setup, and have a breather on the passenger side valve cover, do you have to run a driver's side breather as well? Is it absolutely essential?

If you removed the passenger side stock pipe, then put a breather on the DS as well.

The factory set-up was a pipe from the passenger side valve cover to the turbo inlet which is a low pressure area to take out crankcase pressure.

The stock oil fill on the driver's side is not a breather so the crankcase vapors/pressure to pulled out on the pass side.

When the pipe is removed from the turbo inlet this pressure must go out somewhere?

If boost is increased, sometimes double the factory setting, LOTS of oil vapors and combustion gasses must exit and sometimes it will overwhelm breathers and gaskets.

A stock GN will seldom leak oil, but you can be assured a modified one certainly will! :D

My original 1987 turbo car does not leak oil after all these years as it only has 9K miles and is stock. :)

So with my set-up, and 18 or so psi of boost with alky would I be good with just the passenger side breather? I have a breather on both valve covers, but was wondering if the driver's side breather was totally necessary. I run a factory pcv valve. Though, I do see oil in my vac block when I take it off of my throttle body. So is that pcv valve failing? Or are my breathers in adequate?

My car leaks from the oil pan, that's about it. WIsh someone would come out with a GOOD oil pan gasket for these cars:rolleyes:

So with my set-up, and 18 or so psi of boost with alky would I be good with just the passenger side breather? I have a breather on both valve covers, but was wondering if the driver's side breather was totally necessary. I run a factory pcv valve. Though, I do see oil in my vac block when I take it off of my throttle body. So is that pcv valve failing? Or are my breathers in adequate?

You might want to read this as this will help your oil in the vac hose, and throttle body.
http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/threads/installed-an-oil-catch-can-today.392886/

It kind of helps. I have one in line with the pcv. Still get some oil though. I plan on putting in a new pcv some year.

I see... Sounds good to me. I'd like to keep her as factory as possible, which is why I'd like to go back to the factory oil fill tube, if I absolutely didn't have to run a breather there.