You can type here any text you want

Driveshaft Loop

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

dvernst

Who here runs a drive shaft loop? At what power level should it start being a concern? Thanks

You need one at 12.99 and faster for IHRA and NHRA tracks. You dont ever need one but it is piece of mind. Will help keep that fancy exhaust of yours and your floorboards together.

Jason

it's not really the power level, but more the strain that is being put on the drive shaft. The drivershaft is under the highest strain during the launch and when you're running a 1.559 60' you should be running a DS loop in my opinion. Most tracks have started to require a DS anytime that you're running slicks or DRs.

Great Lakes by me is Nhra this year. I wonder if they are going to enforce it. The Spohn torque arm with the drive shaft loop looks pretty nice.

Great Lakes by me is Nhra this year. I wonder if they are going to enforce it. The Spohn torque arm with the drive shaft loop looks pretty nice.

I've heard GLD is normally pretty relaxed as far as following some of the rules. The Spohn torque arm is the only way I would go, Lakewood makes a "bolt in" DS loop but you have to drill for it. The Spohn torque arm is the only thing on the market that I know of that you don't have to drill for unless you want to make one custom.

GLD does not care if you run a 12second go cart. :p

I ran my car on DRs at Rt 66(strict) He just asked if I had one and I said yet. Figure nobody wants to crawl under the car to check anyway.

But who sells a good one? Are they bolt ins?

I do not think the GN's fit the TTA's. I am not sure on that but I think they are a little different. Look at mine here versus the ones they sell.

100_2842.jpg

I bolted the lakewood one to the torque arm .. not drilling holes ... oh the GN is for a GN :eek: :cool:

here is the lakewood on one of my beaters from years ago :rolleyes: :p

Attachments

• under4.JPG
    under4.JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 143
To me, it really doesn't matter if a track requires a drive shaft loop or not. If you are running sticky tires, you REALLY NEED a loop. If a track didn't require all five lug nuts, would you run with three? Ok, don't answer that question.

I had a friend blow a front universal joint years ago. He said that when the DS dug into the pavement that he found himself staring straight down at the roadway. It lifted the rear wheels 4 feet off the ground.....at 40mph !!!! Needless to say, he hung up his racing helmet for about 10 years after that.

$50 or $60 bucks for a DS loop is a small price to pay to be able to clean the mess out of your own shorts after a front universal joint comes apart.

If it breaks in the back wont it just drag? Here is my stupid but worthwhile explanation. When running with a broom in front of you it catches on stuff and can throw you up like his friend did. When you run with it behind you, it just drags because there is no pressure on it.

Jason

we have also used a rear one on the torque arm to ... you don't want to see your new exhaust system cut in half ..never mind the floors :eek:

I had a '71 Camaro many moons ago that had an appetite for rear joints. The last time I blew one it took out my exhaust system AND beat the hell outta my floorboards too !!!! I don't think I could have done more damage with a 8 pound hammer. The darn muffler was smashed flat........

I've got a front one going in this weekend and will probably install the rear one in a few weeks.

Back