You can type here any text you want

dropping RPM counts

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

89mulletbird

I had a powerlogger trace, but can't find it right now.

Anyways, I have replaced about every electrical component on the car, but once I'm cruising over 3k RPMs, I start losing RPM counts, and the car starts backfiring while the tach goes erratically between 3k and 0 RPM. Datalogger shows the RPM toggling between 3000 and 1500 so it looks like somehow I am missing some of the pulses from the crank sensor.

If I shift it into OD and drop the RPMS below 3,000, the problem goes away instantly, then when I shift back into 3rd and the RPMs are above 3,000 it starts losing tach counts and backfiring again.

I replaced crank sensor, ECM, and ignition module but the problem persists. I cleaned the contacts on the crank sensor and ignition module also.

What else could cause the ECM/ignition module to calculate the wrong RPM?

the components that feed RPM pulses are

crank sensor
ignition module
ECM.

The mounting nuts for the ignition module need to be tight, the correct nuts have built in star washers since the grounding of the module is critical.

A loose balancer bolt, or a loose crank sensor bracket?

electrical terminal in the crank sensor plug, or ignition module plug could be corroded or have lost tension from age.

Bob

your RPM reading drops by 1/2 and sometimes by 2/3

so the crank sensor is skipping one or 2 teeth at a time.

Is your balancer bolt loose?

Does your engine have a lot of crankshaft endplay?

I would look at mechanical issues.

Bob

I've seen displays like that. It turned out to be an improperly grounded ignition module.

Fixed

Loose balancer bolt... With higher RPM, the crank pulled would float foward, and whack the crank sensor. Thanks guys!!

make sure the balancer hub is not cracked and the key and keyway are not trashed.

Bob

Back