You can type here any text you want

Dry install on Cometics?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Some of us are pushing a little more cylinder pressure than what is in your signature.....
I got my first ASE certs in 1986, so I have turned a couple of wrenches too. Copper works for some and dry works too, sometimes both ways will leak !

Bryan

I've done four jobs with Cometics, I don't have any leaks, and yours are leaking.. so I wouldn't be thowing out my ASE certs with that track record

It's hard to argue with experience but I still like to follow manufactures recommendations.

Did anyone read the link?

It's hard to argue with experience but I still like to follow manufactures recommendations.

I did, my short block rebuilder also said dry.. but I go with what guys on here who have done them recommend. Cometics site is a blanket statement.. not the same for forced inductions engines. There is a saying, "might not help, but can't hurt" so when you that deep into an engine why not. After several builds with no problems, most I'm out is a $10 can.. and I can get two jobs out of a can ;)

I've done four jobs with Cometics, I don't have any leaks, any yours are leaking.. so I wouldn't be thowing out my ASE certs with that track record
Yes I have had them leak in the past, not since the studs were installed. Like I said , some of us are pushing higher cylinder pressure than you...big deal you have done 4 sets of Cometics...try pushing your car a little harder before you act like you have done something special.

Bryan

I did lol. I didn't know this was such a passionate subject ;)

In the end, do whatever your comfortable with.. but when I'm that deep into a motor, I'm looking for whatever I can to get the job done once... I've only been working on these cars 20 years.. good luck with the job.

Yes I have had them leak in the past, not since the studs were installed. Like I said , some of us are pushing higher cylinder pressure than you...big deal you have done 4 sets of Cometics...try pushing your car a little harder before you act like you have done something special.

Bryan

"NOT SINCE THE STUDS WERE INSTALLED".... well now that your up with us big boys, glad your not leaking anymore... you remembered the sealant too this time, right ??

i read it ,,long time ago and a couple minutes ago
fwiw my cometics do not have any teflon coating and i do run them with copper tec

"NOT SINCE THE STUDS WERE INSTALLED".... well now that your up with us big boys, glad your not leaking anymore... you remembered the sealant too this time, right ??
Big boy huh, I think with whats in your signature, a Twinkie box would hold...

Bryan

Its ok, I'm used to checkbook mechanics like yourself.. glad you had a trans guy go through your motor.. call em up and maybe he can explain it to you
Now I know how you got your name

Its ok, I'm used to checkbook mechanics like yourself.. glad you had a trans guy go through your motor.. call em up and maybe he can explain it to you
Now I know how you got your name
You keep acting like you are some kind of authority here....LIKE I SAID, some will have luck with copper coat some will have luck dry.....You just couldn't let it go. Jason White is pushing SERIOUS cylinder pressures, mine are way above yours...way different scenarios. They are not all the same !! Go back to thinking you are something special. I guess you got something against KevinB also...guess who built his motor????

Bryan

I've made the mistake of wiping them off with lacquer thinner. It's clear they are coated.

No authority, Phoneguy.. just trying to help people out.. Shouldn't be so passionate, just think if it doesn't hurt, why not, worse your out is a few bucks, best.. you don't have to do a pain in the a$$ job twice. People are passionate (stubborn) about things. Glad there are opposing views so guys can make a choice on here. I have 'no dog in this game' . Just trying to save guys a lot of hassle.

No authority, Phoneguy.. just trying to help people out.. Shouldn't be so passionate, just think if it doesn't hurt, why not, worse your out is a few bucks, best.. you don't have to do a pain in the a$$ job twice. People are passionate (stubborn) about things, I just figure if it doesn't hurt, why not. Glad there are opposing views so guys can make a choice on here. I have 'no dog in this game' . Just trying to save guys a lot of hassle.
Cool.
Like I said I have sprayed mine between the layers and had them leak...Next time I will try dry

Bryan

Some have used the Cadillac seal tabs with luck.. fortunately I haven't had to use em. But I know you can order them online.

Back