You can type here any text you want

Dry install on Cometics?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
I even gave up on coolant after the first HG blow, but then worried about RMI cleaning the system too good and clogging the thermostat on my GN and 67 Mustang, but so far, so good.

I even gave up on coolant after the first HG blow, but then worried about RMI cleaning the system too good and clogging the thermostat on my GN and 67 Mustang, but so far, so good.
I gave up on coolant as well. The bodyshop left my car outside overnight in 14* weather, no ground for the fuel pump when the bumpers were off so he couldnt get it started, popped 2 freeze plugs !!!!!!

Bryan

I'm in So. Cal.. so no worries.. headed home to MI soon after 15 years, so unfortunately the GN will have to reacquire the taste of anti freeze

It is.. until it leaks.. never figured out while people would skip steps that have been proven.. trying to save $10 on a can of copper spray ? :rolleyes:
A lil coolant in the oil never hurt anything

Don't mind us guys with decades of experience.. whats the worse that can happen... coolant in the oil, wiped bearings... don't waste the money on a can of copper spray.. better to redo a leaking gasket with new intake, valve cover, and exhaust gaskets, not to mention oil and coolant and 5 hours of work ... The auto stores, vendors, machinist and engine builders thank you. Four jobs on stock finish head/block and no leaks on mine..others... installer error ???
If I laughed at the ignorance on this board, they'd call me the court jester!

Don't think I've met you before, if so sorry I don't remember. I like your spunk ;)

I only started working on these cars around 94 so I'm no expert. Every engine I've personally been involved with uses Cometics "Dry" w/head studs and never had any coolant leaks etc. Don Cruz does excellent work on the block surface and Tom @ Champion does the heads.

If everything with the machine work is correct, install DRY.. It will seal.
IMO When you introduce another layer or layers of sealant between the gasket layers/heads/block you open yourself up for leaks..

As far as cylinder pressure goes.... I suspect mine is pretty high. I did learn that when going for an 8 second pass after a couple years or so the heads would lift enough to let some carbon out but never leaked. Now that we figured out more about the car.. don't have to push the engine (cylinder pressure) as high as before.. so no leaks. :-)

Food for thought..

I post this a while back on one of the similar posts. One of our local Engine builders went to some expo in FL and had a conversation with and Engineer from Cometics since we always asked him to spray with the hylamar or the copper spray. The Engineer told him that these gaskets are made to go on DRY as with heating and cooling of the engine, the shims kind of move or slide against each ever so slightly as they are designed to do so. If you spray things on it then it may not work as it should thus premature failure can occur.
Prasad

JW, time to upgrade that boost gauge...yikes!
I will try cometics dry on my next build and see how it goes. I have been using copper coat with decent results. Wouldn't hurt to try them dry on a water only engine.

Jason , with the car being for sale are you stepping up in class or getting out of the Buick class racing all together ?

Bryan

Phoneguy said:
Jason , with the car being for sale are you stepping up in class or getting out of the Buick class racing all together ?

Bryan

Focus on business and the other shop car that my brother owns.

Back