You can type here any text you want

Dutteweiller Cam Retention Plate Question

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Eticket

With this use of this retention plate, is there plenty of oil that comes out of the front cam bearing to lube the chain? Or does something else different need to be done?

Thanks,
John

splash from the crank slinger and the drain from the lifter galley in the front of the block are more than enough to keep the chain lubed.

Thanks Bill, You are absolutely right.. I had to remove the front cover anyway. and saw that there is a film of oil over everything... I forgot about the crank slinger and why it's probably there.

I have heard of guys with roller cam bearings having issues oiling the chain and gears. Any thoughts on this?

John

I chickened out and cross drilled the cam. So now it is pressure fed from the front cam bearing. If the lifter bores are straight there really shouldn't be much pressure on it anyway.
Dale

I'm not using the dutweiller cam setup, but do have roller cam bearings. First go round on the mototr the cam sensor ate itself against the cam gear within 100 miles of driving. bad enough to drop oil pressure where the cam gear was not catching on all teeth. Upon tear down the front of the motor was covered in metal shavings, cam gear was razor sharp, and front was completely dry. Seems like since the roller cam bearing block the oil to the cam bearings there was no "splash" out of the front cam bearing to lubricate the timing chain? Solution was to drill tiny oil feed holes in the front galley plugs to spray the timing chain. On other motors the oil pump bypass was plumbed to drain at the fuel pump plate which provided splash oiling. Have not had a problem since.
Greg Kring

Originally posted by summit
I'm not using the dutweiller cam setup, but do have roller cam bearings. First go round on the mototr the cam sensor ate itself against the cam gear within 100 miles of driving. bad enough to drop oil pressure where the cam gear was not catching on all teeth. Upon tear down the front of the motor was covered in metal shavings, cam gear was razor sharp, and front was completely dry. Seems like since the roller cam bearing block the oil to the cam bearings there was no "splash" out of the front cam bearing to lubricate the timing chain? Solution was to drill tiny oil feed holes in the front galley plugs to spray the timing chain. On other motors the oil pump bypass was plumbed to drain at the fuel pump plate which provided splash oiling. Have not had a problem since.
Greg Kring

Greg,
I would think even if your block was different and didnt have the big drain hole cast into the lifter galley in the front directly above the cam, the #1 main bearing alone would surely hemmorage enough directly on the chain to lubricate everything. :confused:

Back