dyno run today

turboman38

It costs money to go fast
Ok I was able to dyno my car at a car show today on a portable dyno. I have a question. Max HP was 304 and max torque was 420. This is with a street chip and 19 ibs of boost on 94 Sunoco pump gas. Got a half a degree of knock so I think I'm pretty safe.

My first question is why are my HP and torque numbers so far apart?

I have done a leak down and didn't like what I found. I had two cylinders (1 and 5) that had 25% leak down. I know for a fact that the valve guide seals are bad because my car blows white smoke on startup. I did nothing to the heads which was a stupid move on my part but ran out of money when rebuilding the engine.

My second question is: Can my horsepower number be really low because of the valve guide seals only or do I definitely have bad rings?

I'm running a 206/206 cam, stock intercooler (have a V4 on the shelf ready to put in) 50s for injectors and a TE60 turbo, THDP, Jay carter street chip.

Just trying to get a handle on whether or not I need rings. My rebuilt motor only has about 8000 miles on it so another rebuild would really P*ss me off.

Any opinion or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Your numbers arent that bad for a street chip, and low boost, your leaving a lot on the table with the low boost, and stock heads and intercooler though. Your numbers being far apart are pretty normal for a turbo buick, 300hp/400tq about normal for a stock motored cars with bolt ons. Have you been to the track and ran it in this trim? I would expect mid 12s at least in street trim. About the leak down, I'm not sure so I'll let somebody else try and help ya out there.

You need to put your ear to the intake, the exhaust pipe, and the crank case (valve cover hole) to see where the air is going. Example- tail pipe= exhaust valve leak, crank case= rings etc.:D Bad seals pulls oil into the camber which burns (blue smoke) and lowers your octane and causes detanation.

PS: Air in crank case may also come from head gaskets, crack in block, etc. White smoke if that is what it is may not be oil but coolant. Do your breathers have muck in them?

Originally posted by turboman38
Ok I was able to dyno my car at a car show today on a portable dyno. I have a question. Max HP was 304 and max torque was 420. This is with a street chip and 19 ibs of boost on 94 Sunoco pump gas. Got a half a degree of knock so I think I'm pretty safe.

My first question is why are my HP and torque numbers so far apart?

It's fairly normal for a TR street car to show 100+ftlbs more than hp.

At what rpm were these numbers made?

These numbers were made at 4800 rpm with the car in 2nd gear not drive. O2s were at 727 and I had a half a degree of knock. I know the O2s were low but I was more worried about the knock.

The one other thing I notice is when I'm on it hard and then finally let off I get a weird smell inside the car. It's sort of a sweet smell bit not exactly like coolant.

Like I said I know I have two cylinders with around 25% leakdown and the are on the same side (1 and 5). If I remember correctly number 3 was 17%. Is it possibal that the head gasket is blown on that side? I see no coolant in the oil.

JDSfastGN, I was hoping for high 11s with this combo. The reason I say that is the fact that I had a GN with a race chip, fuel pump,stock downpipe, stock intercooler and stock turbo that went 12.84 at 105 spinning thru first gear on regular radial street tires. The car I have now has a bigger turbo(TE60), 206/206 cam. Maybe I'm expecting too much. I guess they are the only two HP mods that are actually on the car and my heads are not ported to take advantage of the cam.

Please any more suggestions are welcome. I'm dissappointed in the HP number but happy with the torque. I thinking I need to install the V4 I have on the shelf and put some champion irons on it and if I'm happy at that point keep the car otherwise sell it.

My goal is a 10.99. I know conditions will have to be perfect and I'll have to run alot of boost for that number but I want to be able to say I have a 10 second street car even if it is in race trim.