E-85 and copper

Copper

Oh, I dunno, ever seen a copper whisky flask? Now lets see Weller is 80 proof...that's 40% alcohol......E85 must be...170 proof.....more like Everclear....everyone is sooooo bloomin worried about corrosion with E85, but various ethanol (grain alcohol) blends have been around (south central Kansas) since I moved here in '84.

jn

Well on my 'still, the entire reflux column, bubbler, shotgun condenser, and tube condenser are all made of copper tubing.. basically everything on my still but the boiler and the reflux packing, and it outputs about 97% (194 proof) of the most delicious crisp and clean ethanol you've ever tasted, so I assume 85% ethanol/gas mix would be juuuust fine. Of course to be clear, all my ethanol is promptly denatured and used ONLY as a fuel adulterant, and to run my lawn equipment, just like it says on my alcohol fuel permit... :wink:

Of course to be clear, all my ethanol is promptly denatured and used ONLY as a fuel adulterant, and to run my lawn equipment, just like it says on my alcohol fuel permit... :wink:
:biggrin:

The reason I asked is I was once a HVAC/R mechanic and I have a lot of rolls of refrigeration copper laying around, just to be on the safe side i will stick a piece in a jar of E-85 and keep a record of it and see what happens, cause I was thinking of possibly using it to go to a larger fuel line and it bends and forms nicely and it is easy to silver solder if need be. And as far as a flask being made out of copper who knows why it is not, but yes they do use it in stills.

Ron

Ok, but please also stick a sample in AA gas (non alcoholic) and see if it corrodes. There is another reason not to use copper for automotive lines. that is vibration. Copper work hardens and then cracks due to vibration. It must be reannealed if you want to keep it from cracking.

Heck, let's just make a still instead. And I thought it was now legal to make a small quantity of "corn squeezins" for private consumption.

Ref:Home Distillation of Alcohol
Thickos Guide To Distilling Alcohol - Introduction
Distill Ethanol or Grain Alcohol

hahaha

j

There is a difference between refrigeration copper and copper that is used for water lines, the reefer copper is designed to with stand vibrations, copper that is used for water is not. Also it is measured differently for that reason
also. ID. vs OD.

Ron

OK, I've tried to give you my best advice as a hobyist and design engineer...you make your own decisions as to suitability...just don't ask me to sign the drawings.

JN

And I thought it was now legal to make a small quantity of "corn squeezins" for private consumption.

j

not in this country, unfortunately. Its really ridiculous... its completely legal in the US to ferment grains and make alcohol, whether wine or beer, for personal use. But its still completely illegal to take that alcohol you created and concentrate it by distilling. The only exception is of course if you go through the process of becoming a licensed distiller, and pay taxes, etc, which is obscenely expensive; only a good solution if you're making a commerical amount of liquor. It IS possible however to get an alcohol fuel permit, which allows you to operate a still to make ethanol for sue as a motor fuel, but you have to submit some paperwork to the feds, and basically swear (and show in your application how you plan to) that the operation and design of the still will be safe, same for the storage, and also affirm that you will properly denature all the ethanol produced to prevent human consumption, and explain what denaturing agents you plan to use. The upside is you dont have to worry about hiding your still, or any of that mess, and if a cop decides to ask some questions (due to a nosy neighbor maybe) you can show him your permit. Downside is, the feds now know about your still, and where it is, and if they catch you selling your product, youre royally screwed. Not that I know:wink: , but I imagine that if your product is used only by yourself and a few close friends, and not sold or used for a profit in anyway, and youre not an idiot about it, an AFP is a good way to keep your still semi-legal and still be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor. Plus, think of all the money you'll save on Methanol for the alky injection kit :)

If only our country was more enlightened like some others out there, which allow home distilling in small amounts for personal use without too much hassle (NZ, and Aust., I think, plus some more)

That site, homedistiller.org is a GREAT resource, if anyone is intereted in this hobby. Its where i got my start.