e 85 in a stock engine

sawmillman

Make logs into lumber
Can I run e 85 in a stock 86 engine or do I need to have a chip burned for e 85.I am goning to clean out the fuel tank for sure.:confused:

you don't need to do anything to get it ready other than pull up to an E85 pump.. try 1/4 tank at first and see how it goes, then step up to 1/2 tank. i've tried pretty much every ratio of gas to E85, and settled on 50/50 as the point where i don't lose any mpg but pick up a lot of performance.
of course, i have a hot air car, so your results may differ.

Run 50/50 mix of E85 and 93 octane.

Straight E85 will make the car surge and act funny.

Straight E85 with a stock TR (stock injectors and stock PCM) will run lean for sure since there are fewer BTUs (energy) in a gallon of E85. Of course, the octane is a lot higher so you might get away with it. Tread softly and check the spark plugs for signs that the engine is running too lean.
Conrad

What about running it in a stock 1985 Monte Carlo with an LG4 305 with a CCC carb??

What about running it in a stock 1985 Monte Carlo with an LG4 305 with a CCC carb??
i don't think that would work too well- but have at it if you want. again, start with 1/4 tank and see what happens.
a guy at work was running straight E85 in the 305 in his stock 85 Blazer, and he said that once he pulled the timing ahead some (he doesn't own a timing light, so i can't say how much) and cranked out the idle screws a bit, it ran great. but his already poor gas mileage got even worse.